My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

The Pendleton is a heavy(12kg) wide tyre hybrid.

Did you change tyres to narrower, smooth tread? The tyres are 26" diameter. These would be much faster https://www.bike24.com/p2197004.html if you haven't swapped tyres yet.

A road bike with drop bars would also increase speed by immediately making you more aero position, as opposed to sit up hybrid.

If I remember your event is in September? There is time to swap to another bike, but you need to make the decision soon so you can adapt to it. Cant you borrow/or buy with trial to see if you like a road bike

This bike https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...zjPczgoHZndtw10hTzoaAlc6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comes in frames sizes for 4'11" 5'1" They have 30 test ride policy(check details) Sold elsewhere.

If you can ride London to Brighton and didnt feel like death at the end there is nothing wrong with fitness/stamina.

Advice for speed training, ride hard for 1 minute, slow down to recover and repeat until you can do any more. You should be able to get upto 18-20mph for a minute. Its not about the actual speed just the pushing above your cruise limit. Use a fast-ish cadence 85-95rpm. this trains your legs muscles and nervous system to be fast reacting.
Yes my event is in sept. I have changed the tyres... and that made a lot of diff...
Yes london brighton was al right. Actually didnt feel any tiredness or cramps after that . But there was no time pressure ... i finished it in 5.43 hrs.
For l2p there is finishing times each day and hence i am worried.
Will try the cadence training that sounds good

Yes my event is in sept. I have changed the tyres... and that made a lot of diff...
Yes london brighton was al right. Actually didnt feel any tiredness or cramps after that . But there was no time pressure ... i finished it in 5.43 hrs.
For l2p there is finishing times each day and hence i am worried.
Will try the cadence training that sounds good
Don't be. It's about getting time in the saddle, and if you've already done L2B, you've a good start. Just keep at it, get the new bike if you want. Despite what @CXRAndy says, the biggest advantage of drops for the slower rider is multiple hand positions; aero only really matters in terms of speed, speed, speed. And 12kg is not that heavy a bike either, I did L2B on a 15kg steel mtb, no problem. Tyres were the thing, and you've already seen the difference they make. In fact, I'll likely do L2B again next year, on the same bike, with better gears than before, and huge 50mm tyres. It might not be fast, but it will be comfy!
:biggrin:

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy says, the biggest advantage of drops for the slower rider is multiple hand positions; aero only really matters in terms of speed, speed, speed

I agree with the multiple hand positions, but free extra speed comes from tilted upper body even when riding on top of the hoods. Further free speed on top comes from riding on the drop bars or once experienced puppy paws technique.

All this on the premise that the rider is comfortable on a road bike, most are, but not all.

I agree with the multiple hand positions, but free extra speed comes from tilted upper body even when riding on top of the hoods. Further free speed on top comes from riding on the drop bars or once experienced puppy paws technique.

All this on the premise that the rider is comfortable on a road bike, most are, but not all.
Indeed so, me being one. I have a "proper" road bike, but it has flat bars now. @Bhitucyclist, it may also be possible that if you got a drop bar bike, you might very soon come to prefer it, the majority of riders do seem to change over.

Bhitucyclist

Hi all spotted this second hand bike thT i really like ... what to do you think... i will change the handle bars to straight handle bars. The shop is asking for 275 for bike alone . Am i better off with the triban vs this ?

Attachments

• F8CA92E0-D66A-4108-8F06-6BE59B1BF485.jpeg
    F8CA92E0-D66A-4108-8F06-6BE59B1BF485.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 782C3552-546B-498A-B3BA-523B085140BC.jpeg
    782C3552-546B-498A-B3BA-523B085140BC.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 44

vickster

Legendary Member
As your other thread, if you don't want drops, don't buy a drop bar bike. Waste of time and money converting, just buy flats straight off (pun intended :biggrin: )

Did you see the bargain Vita I linked?

Also, aren't you 5'2? Any men's Defy is likely to be too big, even an XS (I'm 5'10 and a medium was too big for me). IF you do want drops, look at the Avail, wsd version, smaller frame sizes, shorter cranks, narrower bars, women's saddle fitted (I had a medium 2012 version)

For your endurance ride, you need the right sized bike to be comfortable and avoid injury

Last edited:

Bhitucyclist

As your other thread, if you don't want drops, don't buy a drop bar bike. Waste of time and money converting, just buy flats straight off (pun intended :biggrin: )

Did you see the bargain Vita I linked?

Also, aren't you 5'2? Any men's Defy is likely to be too big, even an XS (I'm 5'10 and a medium was too big for me). IF you do want drops, look at the Avail, wsd version, smaller frame sizes, shorter cranks, narrower bars, women's saddle fitted (I had a medium 2012 version)

For your endurance ride, you need the right sized bike to be comfortable and avoid injury
Oh i lost track of the threads.
yes i checked out the triban.
Looking for cheaper options also.
This one is ladies xs so size was ok

Bhitucyclist

Oh i lost track of the threads.
yes i checked out the triban.
Looking for cheaper options also.
This one is ladies xs so size was ok
Oh what do think of the price ... do u think its a good price ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh what do think of the price ... do u think its a good price ?

What model and year is it? What is the Groupset? Sora? Looks like a triple chain set...lord knows when Giant last fitted one to the Defy...minimum five or more years ago? If so, it's well overpirced I think...
Are you absolutely sure it's a ladies XS size. How wide are the handlebars? How long are the cranks?

vickster

Legendary Member

CXRAndy

Guru
Ok it's this one, 6 years old at least and as I thought it's a men's bike...the shop appears to be BSing you if claiming it's a women's bike..or they're clueless if giving benefit of doubt

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/defy-4-triple--2013

You might be ok on an XS if a long body 5'2 but you need to ride it properly

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/rider_height_frame_size.pdf

Don't buy to convert, it'll cost you £200 so just buy a new flat bar...or a used one even better

The Defy triple will have excellent gearing range. The only IF, is do you feel comfortable on it? Test ride, not just for 10 mins, an hour if you can. Things like saddles can be swapped from your other bike if needs be

Bhitucyclist

Ok it's this one, 6 years old at least and as I thought it's a men's bike...the shop appears to be BSing you if claiming it's a women's bike..or they're clueless if giving benefit of doubt

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/defy-4-triple--2013

You might be ok on an XS if a long body 5'2 but you need to ride it properly

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/rider_height_frame_size.pdf

Don't buy to convert, it'll cost you £200 so just buy a new flat bar...or a used one even better
Thanks for all your help...really nice of you to find out more details on it
Ok ... i have now ordered the triban womans road flat bar . This one

But then i saw another model same brand that is far cheaper.£249. I dont understand the difference so thinking of ordering that one too and then test riding both to see what the difference is

Sorry for so many questions!

Attachments

• 53F6E289-A942-466F-99FE-93601CD090C7.jpeg
    53F6E289-A942-466F-99FE-93601CD090C7.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 817B13A4-A3C8-40BD-B883-CB8319BE65A1.png
    817B13A4-A3C8-40BD-B883-CB8319BE65A1.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom