My attempted ride from Plymouth to Tiverton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently (Saturday) attempted to ride from Plymouth to Tiverton, in order to see a friend.
The original plan was that I'd ride there on the Saturday and return on the Sunday also.

As it happens, the mix of Devonian hills and my arthritis got the better fo me.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, and plan on trying it again, having learned some lessons.

Otherwise, enjoy the photos.

Packing the night before, making sure I have everything.

1.jpg

Alarms set, however ended up waking late (0758) showered and dressed and out on the bike by 0810, so was impressed with that, but no breakfast as planned.

2.jpg

The route.

3.jpg

A brief stop to get my bearings at Mount Kelly School in Tavistock. So took the chance to take a photo of my trusted steed.

5.jpg

A much needed stop at Lydford's The Castle Inn.
Feet and hips were starting to kill me, the hills hadn't helped. But the Ham Ploughmans was lovely, so try it!

4.jpg

A panorama before Lydford.

6.jpg

A few photos from Meldon Viaduct.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
...a few more photos...

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

I found the Polar Express!!!

18.jpg
19.jpg

The train waiting at Okehampton Station.

20.jpg

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Same train in Okehampton Station.
21.jpg

A much needed refreshing milkshake and obligatory cake!
Needed something other than the water, flavoured water and electrolyte water I was carrying.

22.jpg

Calories burnt so far, was impressed with that. Just not the time.

23.jpg

Where I ended up finishing. North Tawton, and a lovely (and very friendly) pub The White Hart.
If you ever need to stop, I fully recommend them.

Fortunately my friend was able to come and collect me, but not without a well deserved rescuers pint of ale (for him) and two cold J2O's for me.

Not impressed I only managed 40.44 miles out of the 61, but I do intend on trying again. I will not let my arthritis beat me.

24.jpg

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
@uphillstruggler , after my initial annoyance, I've come to the conclusion that achieving 40 miles, is still an achievement.
Being in pain before leaving the house, I thought was enough, but actually getting through that many miles, with considerable weight on the bike (plus myself) I'm surprised I did get as far as I managed.

But, as I've said, I intend on doing it again soon, as I did enjoy the sights, the ride, and the miles. Just need to speak to my podiatrist about anything he can recommend regarding my arthritis in my feet, and if any alterations could ease my knees and hips too. :biggrin:

speccy1

Good effort! That railway line going from Lydford to Okehampton is a nice route, I`m based in Tavi and quite often ride up that way just for tea and cake in the railway station cafe, and then back home:hungry::smile:

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Good effort! That railway line going from Lydford to Okehampton is a nice route, I`m based in Tavi and quite often ride up that way just for tea and cake in the railway station cafe, and then back home:hungry::smile:
The NCN27 I found was a pain, hated the climb from amount Kelly's school upto North Brentor.
Had I remembered I was heading for Lydford, I'd have simply rode through Tavi and climbed on the main road to Lydford.

I was struggling with pains before hitting the pub in Lydford for the much needed food stop.
But, I intend on riding it again, but unladen and hit Okehampton to come back again.
At least then I'm still doing 60 miles but can get the distancing done still. But I do envy you being in Tavi. Love it there.

speccy1

The NCN27 I found was a pain, hated the climb from amount Kelly's school upto North Brentor.
Had I remembered I was heading for Lydford, I'd have simply rode through Tavi and climbed on the main road to Lydford.

I was struggling with pains before hitting the pub in Lydford for the much needed food stop.
But, I intend on riding it again, but unladen and hit Okehampton to come back again.
At least then I'm still doing 60 miles but can get the distancing done still. But I do envy you being in Tavi. Love it there.

I agree totally, I tried that part of it a couple of months back, wish I hadn`t bothered it was awful, parts of it only possible on a mountain bike too.

Are you going to attempt the ride to Tiverton again?:okay:

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
I agree totally, I tried that part of it a couple of months back, wish I hadn`t bothered it was awful, parts of it only possible on a mountain bike too.

Are you going to attempt the ride to Tiverton again?:okay:
Hell yes I intend on doing it again! This time, lightening the load I'm carrying, getting up earlier (unfortunately I've had a manic 3 weeks, between cycling event in Lincolnshire, then moving house, sorting house out before handing it back etc, then riding to Tivi) for breakfast.

The only bit I found bumpy was a small segment on the Granite Way which was bumpy, so took things easier (considering I'm not light, and then carrying luggage too).

speccy1

I'm hoping I can @speccy1 . Too stubbornly stupid, or stupidly stubborn, to let it beat me.
I've ridden more than 60 miles, and I WILL do it :biggrin:
I`m sure you will, go for it. Let me know when your next attempt is and you can stop here for a well earned cuppa and a cake on your way up. I`m serious too, PM me and I`ll give you my address, you`ll be very welcome:okay:

Top Bottom