My attempted ride from Plymouth to Tiverton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You see, routing is everything. Compare and contrast!

https://ridewithgps.com/users/180188/routes
Awesome ... for heroes.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14470832
Close but no Cigarrrrrrr .....

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
I'll give the hills a miss. I'm hoping to get things in order with homelife and try again in the next few weeks. But all depends on what my friend is doing too, I don't like to impose on people at the best of times.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@uphillstruggler , after my initial annoyance, I've come to the conclusion that achieving 40 miles, is still an achievement.
Being in pain before leaving the house, I thought was enough, but actually getting through that many miles, with considerable weight on the bike (plus myself) I'm surprised I did get as far as I managed.

But, as I've said, I intend on doing it again soon, as I did enjoy the sights, the ride, and the miles. Just need to speak to my podiatrist about anything he can recommend regarding my arthritis in my feet, and if any alterations could ease my knees and hips too. :biggrin:
Well done!

Have you got nice low gears on your bike? I put triples on both of my road bikes and found that their low bottom gears really helped protect my sore knees, hips and feet when climbing. Spinning a low gear is much gentler on painful joints than grinding a higher gear.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Hi Colin,

I actually don't know what I'm running on my Genesis. But hoping that my new Cannondale will be similar gear ratios, as can get used to climbing on it.
Also toying with the idea of running a small trailer, so the weight is off the bike, but knowing it'll be dragging behind instead.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the whole "touring" experience, and the sights I saw along the way, so hoping to maybe take some time off in the future and go for a ride into Cornwall and do some camping as I go.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,

I actually don't know what I'm running on my Genesis. But hoping that my new Cannondale will be similar gear ratios, as can get used to climbing on it.
Also toying with the idea of running a small trailer, so the weight is off the bike, but knowing it'll be dragging behind instead.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the whole "touring" experience, and the sights I saw along the way, so hoping to maybe take some time off in the future and go for a ride into Cornwall and do some camping as I go.
Just count the teeth on the smallest ring (front) and biggest sprocket (rear) if you can't see the numbers stamped on them. For riding up hills towing a trailer, I'd want the number of teeth at the back to be bigger than the number at the front, preferably by at least 3 or 4!

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Thanks @ColinJ , will have a look later (bike's in storage now).

Top Bottom