My beautiful raleigh - vandalised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

Gutted. Parked up at the station and some low life scum did this to it. It hurts more than if it had been my roadie as this was a gift from a friend and my summer pootle bike.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335980848.856552.jpg

Feckin' brainless wonders. Doesn't that make you want to get a big stick and go outside and thwack a hoodie :cursing:

KateK

That's horrible. Happened to me a few years back in the middle of the afternoon. Some really nice guy straigtened out the wheel enough for me to at least wheel it to the bike shop. Why do they do it...because they can. I've never parked my bike there since.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My condolences - mindless, and even worse than honest theivery in a strange sort of way.

One question - was it in a wheel mangler type bike stand? I avoid using them at work and chain to the structure instead. I'm in no way victim blaming - but keep wondering if I'm being paranoid avoiding such things, or will the bastards get you anyway as mindless malice will overcome any care we may take

the snail

Guru
My condolences - mindless, and even worse than honest theivery in a strange sort of way.

One question - was it in a wheel mangler type bike stand? I avoid using them at work and chain to the structure instead. I'm in no way victim blaming - but keep wondering if I'm being paranoid avoiding such things, or will the bastards get you anyway as mindless malice will overcome any care we may take
I don't think it's anything to do with the stand, either frustration that they couldn't steal it or just mindless vandalism. I had exactly the same done to my bike once. Kinda makes you want to do the same to their legs.

Davidc

Guru
Not quite that - had saddle and tyres slashed. I now leave my bike on a street located Sheffield stand about 200m from the station instead and haven't had a problem.

If I was regularly using the train I'd get a folder and take it with me!

Can we bring back the stocks?

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

It's just a normal metal bike rack - the kind you have a bike locked each side. Not sure what they're called. I know it's daft but I think I'm more upset coz we live in the country and the station is a quiet little village station. We're getting disillusioned as this is the 2nd time something like this has happened. It's not like I spent lots in the bike but it was a gift and I spent lots of time doing it up. Interestingly though - the police are coming round which I'm surprised at. We reported it as there are CCTV cameras at the station aimed at the car park, bike rack area so we thought they might get the little sod as they did last time. But instead of just taking details they're on their way to inspect the bike even though we said it wasn't worth taking up police time. But who am I to argue. Anyway. We'll see what happens. Thank you for all your words of support. I know it's just a bit of metal but it's got sentimental value and I've had such a crap few months that I'm starting to think what next.

Gary E

Veteran
It's not the monetary value of the bike that matters, it's obviously valuable to you for all sorts of other reasons.

Hope you get a result with the police but I'm afraid the feeling of being violated in some way is a lasting thing.

Console yourself in the knowledge that there are many more people who sympathise with your feelings (as illustrated here) than there are people who do this sort of thing.

I know it's daft but I think I'm more upset coz we live in the country and the station is a quiet little village station.

Bored kids with nothing better to do. Its a common problem is small towns and villages where there's not much to do but hang around with your mates.

Sorry its happened to a cherished bike but on the bright side the wheels are easily repairable/replaceable and then it'll be as good as new but with an extra war story to tell. And its war stories that give bikes their characters IMO.

Peteaud

Veteran
Not quite that - had saddle and tyres slashed. I now leave my bike on a street located Sheffield stand about 200m from the station instead and haven't had a problem.

If I was regularly using the train I'd get a folder and take it with me!

Can we bring back the stocks?

Bring back public flogging, and no i am not joking.

As others have said,mindless scum.

Top Bottom