My beautiful raleigh - vandalised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Interestingly, the last time we reported a bike being vandalised and wheel stolen, they caught the little bugger on CCTV and had been after him for other petty crimes but had no proof. They got him on this and he confessed to several others in court so ended up in juvenile detention. Although I had mixed feelings about it as heard he came from a pretty bad background and was in care. But it was out of my hands. Anyway police are going to look at CCTV footage and go from there. Obviously a slow crime day in Norfolk.
DON@T show any sympathy to them. Playing the "Oh poor me, I've had a hard life" card is just a pathetic excuse. Many good people have come from tough backgrounds.
Back to the OP, I agree the best idea is to try to get some new rims [chrome of course] and get the wheels rebuilt, it deserves to stay original.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Gutted. Parked up at the station and some low life scum did this to it. It hurts more than if it had been my roadie as this was a gift from a friend and my summer pootle bike.
View attachment 9017
Oh crap! :sad:

I was just saying to someone the other day (in fact it might even have been on the Rutland ride when I met you) about the time I watched the Milk Race in Manchester. I saw a host of fantastic bikes chained to lamp-posts all along Deansgate. I walked the circuit and came back down Deansgate again and every single one of the bikes looked like yours! :cursing:

That did it for me - I decided me that I would never leave my bike locked up outdoors in a big town or city again. I do it on forum rides but we normally stop in small villages or somewhere where we can keep an eye on our bikes.

I hope they catch who did it!

Stephen13

Regular
Absolutely unbelievable, mindless low life scum!

Anyways Janey, I have just started a little business of my own buying and selling bikes/parts and also donating to local projects and helping out those who can't afford to buy new, its all going well and not sure about how to find worthy causes when I have spare bikes. Point is though is that I come across all sorts of bikes and I shall keep an eye out for some wheels for you, I take it they are standard 26/27 inch 3 speed Sturmey Archer?

Anyway if i come across some I will keep them aside for you and you can have them for £100 each! Lol only joking in fact if I do get some they will be free of charge.

Stephen

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

UPDATE - seems the police have good clear images of the little rascal on the station CCTV. They are in the process of trying to identify him and will let me know. I've been sent various forms to complete but don't hold out much hope of compensation. Will just be a good result if he gets a ticking off and it deters him from doing it again.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Absolutely unbelievable, mindless low life scum!

Anyways Janey, I have just started a little business of my own buying and selling bikes/parts and also donating to local projects and helping out those who can't afford to buy new, its all going well and not sure about how to find worthy causes when I have spare bikes. Point is though is that I come across all sorts of bikes and I shall keep an eye out for some wheels for you, I take it they are standard 26/27 inch 3 speed Sturmey Archer?

Anyway if i come across some I will keep them aside for you and you can have them for £100 each! Lol only joking in fact if I do get some they will be free of charge.

Stephen

Thanks for that lovely offer Stephen. April is still sitting in the shed under cover as I can't bear to look at her. Haven't decided what to do with her yet. Guess it depends on the outcome of the police investigation and whether I get some money back. Thing is, I'm really in two minds about whether to even keep her. A bike is for using and she was my shop, station, pub bike. Even if I get her fixed up, I'll be worried every time I lock her up anywhere. We'll see.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Now I know I'm going to get some grief about this but I've given Alice away. I've spent the weeks since she was vandalised deliberating over what to do and finally decided that even if I spend the money getting her done up again, I'll be nervous leaving her anywhere now as vandalism seems to be in the increase around here. I also don't have the cash to spend and I am trying to get rid of some stuff with a view to maybe moving house next year. I was sad to see her go but she went to a guy I know in our village who adores old bikes and is really keen to spend some time and effort getting her back on the road. So she'll be well looked after. I'm now driving to the station which is really sad as its only a mile away but with no footpath it's a treacherous road to walk and I ain't leavin a bike at the station again unless it's an absolute wreck. Thanks for all your kind words though. Daft getting so upset over a bike but she was a beaut. No doubt I'll see my friends wife riding her around the village soon getting as much enjoyment out of her as I had.

Top Bottom