My Bicycle Touring Plans for 2014! Where are you off to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Spring is finally here in Atlantic Canada! (It only took too long!) But that means I can finally get out on my bike and begin to ride! :smile:

Since this is my first year of properly getting into bike touring, I'm always open to any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, and anything else you guys might have for me in all your vast experiences! :smile:

Decided to write an article about it!

http://jackonabike.ca/2014/04/07/2014-bike-touring-plans/

HelenD123

Guru
My tips: don't take the 104 down to Fundy National Park. Tourist Information sent me that way but it was very busy. There's also a massive hill out of Alma.

Could you head over to Quebec? The route verte from the Quebec/New Brunswick border to Riviere du Loup was gorgeous and off road. Have a look at the journal in my signature for some pics and ideas.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
My tips: don't take the 104 down to Fundy National Park. Tourist Information sent me that way but it was very busy. There's also a massive hill out of Alma.

Could you head over to Quebec? The route verte from the Quebec/New Brunswick border to Riviere du Loup was gorgeous and off road. Have a look at the journal in my signature for some pics and ideas.

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the route advice, and the journal reference! I will most certainly check that out! :smile:

In terms of me getting into Quebec this Summer, honestly I don't know. We'll have to see. I do know that I'll be spending a lot of time in Quebec next year, as I'm cycling across Canada and Quebec is a HUGE province to go through. But it's apparently one of the best ones for bike touring - the infamous Route Verte, as you've mentioned.

I'll check out your journal, thanks again. :smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've driven down the gorge, and decided then that I'd be back to ride it when I had the chance.
Sadly, that chance will come in mid-November, which is why I'm a bit hesitant about Ventoux.
Well, that and the fact that I'll be doing it on a Brompton :eek:

toekneep

I can't speak for other countries but in the UK I would advise treating all official Tourist Information advice with extreme caution. Especially when it comes to campsites, their whereabouts and their existence even. When it comes to routes, very few of the staff are cyclists so they have no idea.
As for plans, we are off around the coast of Britain. We leave in just over two weeks and we are just a bit excited!
Good luck with your travels.

Last edited:
Hoping to get a week or so later in the year chasing as much dirt as possible exploring the coast and national park from Esperance through to Albany in Western Australia.

Andrew

pkeenan

Über Member
I had plans to head to Italy, or Amsterdam/Germany/Belgium/France (one tour). But my diary has got so booked I cannot find time where I would be able to enjoy this properly, without putting in big miles and having to be home sooner than I would prefer.

So with these not being possible I'm going to do some smaller things here in Britain. In May I'll do a sort of circular route which includes doing Coast to Coast and Coast & Castles.

Starting from the Scottish Borders, I'll head to Windermere to see family. Then from Whitehaven I'll pedal over to Tynemouth. From Tynemouth up to Edinburgh. Then possibly on to Glasgow. (Then home!)

Nothing exotic for sure - but (fingers crossed for reasonable weather!) it should be fun, and combines two trips I've wanted to do for a while.

I might go away again in September - we'll see.

Im in the process of planning a round trip from Worcester via Lymington in the New Forest commencing early June. I will be camping all the way. Thought I might start the first leg cycling Cotswold line to Oxford then after that not sure yet.

Top Bottom