My bicycle wasn't stolen, just borrowed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My commuter is an elderly and rather tatty 90's MTB whose main job is to sit at the tram stop all day withough being nicked. It runs as sweet as can be, just looks old.

Just to be sure it is double locked, although that's with a supermarket special that looks more solid than it actually is on the front wheel/frame/rack, backed up with a 10€ combi lock through back wheel/frame/bike rack.

A couple of days ago the Supermarket special jammed, fortunately after unlocking it from the bike, so until this morning the bike had a couple of days with only a cable lock. Seriously, anyone with a decent set of wire cutters could have been be one bike better off.

I'm still not sure if I should be pleased that it hasn't been nicked, or affronted. I guess if I'm being honest, it's trying to be unattractive and awkward to remove, so people will nick the flashy hardtail next to it instead, but still...

Either way it now has a rather better lock running through frame/front wheel/bike rack, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to cycle back from the tram stop tonight...

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
rather tatty 90's MTB whose main job is to sit at the tram stop all day withough being nicked...……….I'm still not sure if I should be pleased that it hasn't been nicked, or affronted. I guess if I'm being honest, it's trying to be unattractive and awkward to remove, so people will nick the flashy hardtail next to it instead, but still....

Isn't that pretty much the primary function of any form of utility transport left parked in a dodgy location? Namely, to encourage any self-respecting thief to keep his street cred intact by not risking being seen aboard such a worthless old hack.

Tizme

Veteran
I may have told this story before here, so if you've previously read it, switch off now:laugh:

Many years ago I was i/c of security & discipline at a military establishment "when the grown ups went home", one evening two young sailors came to me to report they had just seen a Royal Marine laying in to a sailor just outside the gates. I obviously went to investigate where upon I discovered that the lad getting a "rebrief" from the marine had just "borrowed" said marines' VERY expensive bike to cycle from the accommodation to the bus stop, where his girlfriend was picking him up for a night out. His intention was to leave it there (with no thought that someone passing might decide to remove it) and then cycle back to his accommodation later that night. The marine stated that did it on a regular basis with other bikes (none of which belonged to him), frequently leaving them around the establishment for the owners to find. On this occasion he was spotted by said owner who managed to catch him and dole out some instant justice. I informed the Marine that I had urgent paperwork to attend to, but to ensure the lad was able to walk when he had finished, the thief was stunned, to say the least, that I was not going to take action against the marine.

Top Bottom