My bicycle wasn't stolen, just borrowed

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Happy69, 6 Feb 2019.

1. Happy69

Happy69 Regular

I came out of the shop and my bicycle wasn't there, I will admit I hadn't locked it, CCTV didn't show the guys face and I couldn't be bothered calling the police as I'm getting a brompton soon (the hybrid bike is not very good)

The next day, one of the staff rang me up to say the bicycle was outside the shop, the same guy brought it back

2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

He brought it back?

I wouldn't know whether to be grateful or insulted!

3. Threevok

Threevok Junior Member (Trainee)

As a kid, I remember someone stealing my Dad's motorbike and side car

It turned up the next evening with a sorry note. Some bloke came out of the pub opposite and used it to get home.

He brought it back when he'd sobered up

4. CarlP

CarlP Boing!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Mine got taken from railings - and was 20 feet or so further away. It was never locked as no-one in their right mind would want it! (A Viking Targa DD24)

Given it cost £10 with a new free tyre and weighed more than most people I presume they'd decided it wasn't worth stealing.

6. OP
    OP
    Happy69

Happy69 Regular

I've shoved it back in my shed. Tbh I was abit embarrassed that whoever nicked it brought it back. But it makes me want a really cool brompton. I'm thinking rohloff. Lots of titanium and shiny upgrades

7. You cant even look after a rubbish bike and now you want a nice one like mine :0)
    IMG_20190102_151906.jpg

8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Imagine they stole the lock and left the bike. The shame the shame.

9. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

A guilty admission from my warward youth... a couple of 'friends' stole a car from a garage forecourt (i was just tagging along, honest guv), they drove it around the lanes for an hour and put it back exactly where they stole it from. They stole it again the following night and put it back a while later. The third night the keys were no longer on the sun visor so we left it alone. ...i figured i'd best distance myself from those two. Probably the first mature decision I ever made.

10. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

When i was much younger I used to hang out with some rich kids in my area of North London and one of their dads had a nice Bentley. He was often away for weeks on business trips and foolishly left the keys in the hall. We used to 'borrow' it for parties of a weekend.

11. OP
    OP
    Happy69

Happy69 Regular

I've always loved bromptons from afar, they are a piece of engineering beauty, what brompton have you got and have you got any upgrades

12. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Maybe a lock of some sort if you ever leave a bike around again.

Gravity Aided, Happy69 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  13. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

In the early 90s I bought a Ford Fiesta off my mate for £60. I got loads of use out of it but it got to a point when half of the exhaust had fell off and was pretty loud. Someone took it off my drive. I heard it go but couldn’t be arsed to chase as knew they would be too embarrassed to go far. Turned up half hour later a mile away.:laugh:

14. Someone nicked my Sister's car at her old house. The neighbour caught him trying to push start the car, the battery was flat :laugh:

15. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

I used to have a slightly dodgy neighbour in the late 80's/early 90's, who was into the rave scene of the time and used to like his pills. One day a worthless old banger I used to own disappeared from where I'd parked it and reappeared later in the day in a slightly different spot, as the previous space had been taken in the meantime. No damage and nothing missing. Found out later that neighbour had wanted to move a batch of E's and borrowed my motor as it wasn't known to the police, whereas he had previous form and his own car was on their radar! The cheeky bugger did at least fill the tank right up before returning it, no doubt to keep me sweet so I didn't kick off about his "borrowing" without asking.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice