my bike broke today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

not the new one!? If not, sounds like the old one is making a plea for attention.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
yep, it's fatal. the frame snapped by the seat post (upon examination by numerous cyclists at work we concluded it was due to me having my seat post at max height). i'm so sad :ohmy: my bike still looks shiny and new. now i have no bike except one guy at work is now going to sell me his spare carbon frame for £65 (and better still, he's a top bloke and i know he will have looked after it so it won't be in naff condition)

lucky for me it didn't go right through (was about 5mm of intact metal left) or i might have had a nasty accident (or a cheap thrill !) and it happened 20 yards from work after a 17 mile ride.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Smokin Joe said:
Look on it not as a setback, but an opportunity. Go out and treat yourself to an expensive replacement, the cyclists comfort equivalent of opening the chocolate cupboard.

yes, i am planning this, but i was planning on it next spring. so i need something to tide me over without eating into my savings.

she was my first bike tho! i've had her 4 years. RIP

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Elmer Fudd said:
Is the frame not covered by a lifetime guarantee ? At least you would have a spare frame if you buy the carbon one.

dunno. its only a Carrera, altho having said that it was their top of the range one. my mate at work told me to check.

Warranty it! (Assuming you still have the receipt, that you bought it from new and the shop you bought it from is still in business). Having the seat post at its max is not an issue, it would only affect your warranty if twer beyond its maximum height.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Certain shops online do 6 months interest free credit so you could purchase now and put off paying for it until next spring.
ps. Do seasons have capital letters? I can't remember:blush:

girofan

:rolleyes::sad: Comiserations, 'buggi'. I know how it feels to lose a bike. It's obviously not the way you wanted to obtain your new bike. You wanted to keep your old trusty steed out of sentiment. Condolenses on your loss. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
User76 said:
Buggi, I think it's time you were honest with yourself and us isn't it? Your trip to the bike show resulted in a rather rash expenditure on a new Madone and you need to psychologically justify it to yourself:biggrin: Come on, own up, come clean, it took you ages with that junior hacksaw blade didn't it??????

Obviously I may be wrong, though I rarely am, and if so, then sieze this opportunity with both hands and get yourself to a decent on-line retailer/LBS and purchase that new bike, you know it makes sense.:rolleyes:

honest maggot, i wouldn't kill her, she was gonna be my commuting bike. :rolleyes: but i will admit to seeing a nice pinarello in the shop when i went to talk to the lads after. even so, "add not replace" is my motto ! she was a loverly colour too!

alecstilleyedye said:
was the frame 7005 aluminium or 6061 aluminium? getting worried as i suspect my virtuoso is the same frame as yours buggi. commiserations btw :biggrin:

mine was a vengeance, it had a "superlight magnesium" frame. i know you have to look after them, but i presumed if it was gonna go, it would be near the bottom bracket, where the shoot off the road would have affected it.

Top Bottom