My bike has been nicked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terry huckle

Had a lovely ride yesterday, got home and put number one bike in its hangar (garden shed according to her ladyship) and locked the door for the night. Up this a.m at sparrow fart and noticed shed door missing....plus of course one bicycle.

Not much of one compared to the exotic metal owned by some contributors here, but I miss it (2004 model Trek 1200 in cherry red)

So my wife phoned the insurance company who were very nice and said that they`d get someone from Halfords (WTF?) to phone and arrange a replacement. The dear one decided that wasn`t on, but got in touch with the dealership from whence the bike came. No problem they said, all I`d have to do was insist on another Trek, and Halfords would almost certainly source it through them.

Anybody any experience of the Trek 1.5?

No compensation is a substitute for the intrusion - sorry to hear about this hiccough (hiccup?) Terry.

A club hammer across the perp's fingers might remind them of their manners.:evil:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Beasts!
Sorry to hear of the loss:sad:
I always worry about mine, someone a couple of doors up has some 'dodgy' mates and there is a scrap collector up the road which always seems dodgy.
If a bike is stolen and has some upgrades, i take it the insurance company will put these upgrades on the bike?

OP
OP
T

terry huckle

Thanks for the tea and sympathy guys.

Going to rebuild the shed in the next few days....are tamper proof screws widely available? Number 3 bike (trusty old Dawes Galaxy) is padlocked to a rack which has "tighten only" screws fixing it to the garage wall.

A word for "Pedal On" of Tadley who provided a duplicate receipt today as we couldn`t find the original here at home....it even had the frame number recorded on it.

gavintc

Guru
I really hate hearing about bikes getting nicked. Bikes are so personal, more so than a tele or other items of household detritus. I feel for you and hope you get something good in replacement. Bast**ds, hope they get taken out by a SMIDSY.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I built the 'shed' for my motor bike I used solid 2" thick timber doors with steel rods to reinforce them, multipoint door locks and I also set an old 50 ton hoist shackle into the 6" deep concrete base to chain the bike to.

Jaded

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Night Train said:
When I built the 'shed' for my motor bike I used solid 2" thick timber doors with steel rods to reinforce them, multipoint door locks and I also set an old 50 ton hoist shackle into the 6" deep concrete base to chain the bike to.

Thank sounds well protected..... I don't think my shed is anywhere near that well protected. On the other hand when a policeman came round checking houses for security, he told me off for leaving a fork in the garden. I told him it went in the shed at night time.... he replied "what shed?" He gave it 11/10 for not being obvious. It is diguised under a clematis so even some of my neighbours don't realise its there... not on purpose just my type of gardening.

Will1985

Über Member
Terry - you approaching it the wrong way.....that bike may look like a Trek 1200 by the decals, but it was in fact a Madone dressed as a 1200!!! :tongue: :evil:

And Halfords...WTF?!? I wouldn't let them anywhere near one of my bikes.

OP
OP
T

terry huckle

domtyler

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Madam conveyed our suspicions to the PCSO who phoned this a.m. She was told in no uncertain terms that as they weren`t seen on our property, nothing could be done. We were also advised to go to the local car boot sale on Sunday "that`s probably where it will be" and to phone the police if spotted. However, he would not be able to go himself "we have to have some time off you know" Apparently this character then spent the rest of the call berating my wife and I for inadequate security.

Anyway, dropped into my local bike shop to look for a suitable replacement on the way home from work....that cheered me up a bit.

Top Bottom