My bike has been stolen from work :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Got to the bike racks last night with my key in hand to unlock my beloved go home but no bike there!;)

Went into security and they checked the CCTV and they found a little kid - about 12 years old had come over and got through the lock (I don't know how at the moment) and then 1/2 hour later come back and taken the bike - was gone by 11.00 am - 2 hours after I parked it there.

I don't know what's worse - not knowing what happened to it or seeing some little toerag ride it away!:laugh:

I'm absolutely gutted and there is some confusion as to who should be claiming on the insurance - it's a cycle to work scheme bike which I have finished paying my instalments on but still seems to be owned by my company.

They did invoice me for it £25 but I never paid the invoice and the invoice got written off - so confused and really really upset about the loss of my Trek.

Not only that - not keen to park a replacement bike in there now - CCTV is all very well and good but not much use if all I can do is watch somebody nick it is it?

I'm posting on here because only you lot will feel my pain!!!!;)

g00se

Veteran
B**ger - are the racks outside the office and any chance from the CCTV of identifying the culprit?

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Okay dokey - it's my insurance that I need to contact then!

I had a steel cable sort of lock - like lots of twisted cable together - I don't know what it was called - do you know what I mean?

I'm on hubby's Saracen Rufftrax today - that's got a D lock on it.

You're all going to tell me that my lock was rubbish now aren't you!? :laugh:

Helly79

Im so sorry to here that your bike was stolen, I did the bike to work scheme and looking through my policy I had to insure my bike in case it got stolen. My work was not responsible for insuring it, not sure if thats the same with yours. I hope you have some luck with the police

ChrisKH

Guru
Check the position re: work's liability for bikes secured on their property. Do they openly disclaim responsibility for any bikes or cars parked on the premises? If not you may have potential to claim on their insurance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Really sorry about your bike, but the lock is no better than leaving the bike without a lock - cables are just rubbish..... You need a Gold standard D - like the top of the range Abus or NY Fag Locks - it's the only way.

Hopefully your insurance will cover it (even on cycle scheme it's your insurance that has to cover the bike).

Look forward to the 2010 version of your bike hopefully. !!

g00se

Veteran
Check the ride to work scheme small print before claiming as to who is responsible for insurance but if it's cyclescheme - and if you haven't yet taken possession of it at the end - then you are responsible for insuring it.

Also, if it's stolen, and not fully paid off yet, you need to pay off your employer the FULL amount of the bike - that's why they say to insure it - otherwise you may end up out of pocket. Not sure what the deal is with the position you are in.

Before claiming, check the policy as it may require the bike to be locked up with an approved locked - check that the lock you had is included in the list before claiming (usually as 'sold secure' gold, silver or bronze). If it's not covered, you may want to see if work covers their bike racks?

A tip for locking up - always lock it next to a more expensive bike that has a worse lock on it....

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
LOL - unfortuantely my bike is the best in the rack!

I have got it insured so there shouldn't be any problems there - it's just a pain in the arse and I'm so unreasonably upset about it.

Disclaimers all over the racks about "left at own risk" etc etc

I just thought with security etc and cctv it might be safer than left on the street.

Will get a better lock next time! :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
the reluctant cyclist said:
LOL - unfortuantely my bike is the best in the rack!

I have got it insured so there shouldn't be any problems there - it's just a pain in the arse and I'm so unreasonably upset about it.

Disclaimers all over the racks about "left at own risk" etc etc

I just thought with security etc and cctv it might be safer than left on the street.

Will get a better lock next time! :evil:

ARGHHHH!!

this is rotten news, sorry to read this. I cant imagine how annoying it must be to watch footage of yiour bike being nicked.

Still, as fossy puts it, the new years range beckons;) (there's always a silver lining)

Here's to a swift insurance settlement and a new shiny trek:cheers:

Top Bottom