My bike is dying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TLC done on my mudguard too - the glue held it, but I've now bolted it together - looks OK and will do the job for now...

You'll always need the odd bit of TLC on any bike, especially if you use it daily - my commuter has had loads of bits this year.....

Sprockets, chain, tyres, brake blocks, Bottom Bracket, headset bearings, jockey (pulley) wheels, mudguard repair and it will be due another chain, sprockets and big chain ring soon !!!

It doesn't stop !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heh heh - my training bike is on it's third frame - two passed away as a result of car incidents. The original parts are the cranks and brake calipers (22 years old), although most of the other components are at least 16 years old. Usual wear parts have been replaced though !

PBancroft

User1314 said:
Well, it is said that, as the human body sheds skin and cells, replensihing itself, it is completely new every thirty years (or something). Same but completely different.

Same with bikes, I guesss, if you keep them long enough. New brakes, chains, tyres, pedals, handlebars, seat, frame (!) etc and a few years later...same but...NEW!!!

Trigger's broom!

I find myself in a perpetual cycle of cycle maintenance. Tyres get reinflated every couple of weeks. Minor adjustments every now and then. Something significant about once every month/two months.

I'd say it probably adds up to about half an hour of my time every couple of weeks.

It's probably helped that I ride fixed mainly.

cupoftea

I've been really lucky, at the end of 2006 I replaced the chain and rear block, and last weekend I went out and replaced them again, 9000ish miles later.
In that time I've replaced 3 sets of break pads and thats it.

And the old girl only get washed 4 times, a bit less than the wife :-)

gbb

Legendary Member
I always wonder...am i gentle with my bikes, or are some of you heavy with them :biggrin::biggrin:
My Chimera has about 4000 miles on it...it's still perfectly good. All i've changed is the chain about 6 months ago.
Removed, greased and re-fitted a stiff headset a while ago.
Stripped and re-greased the wheel hubs.

Everythings original except the tyres and seat, and they were changed by choice, not because i had to

I'm thinking...is there anything i missed......no, dont think so.:wacko:

ed_o_brain said:
I find myself in a perpetual cycle of cycle maintenance. Tyres get reinflated every couple of weeks. Minor adjustments every now and then. Something significant about once every month/two months.

I'd say it probably adds up to about half an hour of my time every couple of weeks.

It's probably helped that I ride fixed mainly.

I'm mechanic to 6 bikes - there's always something needing attention, but fortunately most of the time only minor expense involved. I find standardising tyres between 4 of the bikes (tourers/commuters) helps a lot as I use a lot of the same inner tube and really only keep one spare tyre 'in stock'.

Top Bottom