My brother was knocked off his bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

taxing

taxing, it is your brother's decision to not go further, which has to be respected. Unfortunately, all that does is reinforce it into the mind of a bad driver that they can get away with it 'if they offer a tenner'.

It doesn't make the bad driving go away, but points on the license and a loss of no-claims is a better deterrant IMO and might just make the prats think about their responsibility towards other road users.

It could do that, or the accident might have shook him up a bit. I think that when turning out of that road (if not out of every road) he'll now check whether there's a bike coming.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It could do that, or the accident might have shook him up a bit. I think that when turning out of that road (if not out of every road) he'll now check whether there's a bike coming.

Shook him up enough to try and haggle the price down twice, once at the scene, and once later AFTER agreeing on £70.00.

No offence intended towards you, your brother, or other posters, but I have been put at risk a few times over this weekend by selfish arrogant, impatient and downright dangerous drivers, so I am still smarting a bit.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Someone who pulls out of a junction without looking is a pretty dangerous driver.

And I emphasize, "not looking" - this isn't even looking and failing to spot, it's "looking the other way".

Fair enough, it's up to the OP's brother to choose his course of action. But this guy sounds like a menace, and he's got off very lightly.

Jaguar

all that does is reinforce it into the mind of a bad driver that they can get away with it ...It doesn't make the bad driving go away, but points on the license and a loss of no-claims is a better deterrant IMO and might just make the prats think about their responsibility towards other road users.

I agree with you.
The driver who "didn't see" me last year admitted he wasn't looking ahead (where I was cycling towards him) but he was looking over his shoulder for a parking space when he drove into me.
The police did nothing, except tell me he "probably had a blind spot".
I sued and he settled out of court (£2k). I didn't want the money, I wanted his license taken off him :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Your brother can still report the driver to the police for what good it will do without witnesses. What amazes me in these incidents where cyclists are only superficially injured, where one assumes they can still think straight, that they don't. People's brains seem to become instantly scrambled. Don't enter into a slanging match just get the important info you need so the driver doesn't just disappear onto the ether never to be found again.

First thing I would do would be making sure I was not injured and even if I were I would make damn sure I had his or her mughsot on my camera and a pic of their car and registration, and the registrations of vehicles of any witnesses as it is easy to forget these or they disappear sharpish. Then I would have been on the phone dailling 999 for police or ambulance if necessary. Any hint of a whiff of drink from the driver then it would be a drunk driver. This may get mentioned anyway.

The driver in the OP's incident was probably uninsured. He's probably disqualified or unlicensed as well.

Your brother can still sue him. Just because he got £70 cash out of him for obvious intial repairs to his bike this needn't be the end of the matter.

I would still report the incident to the police.

Debian

I'm all for reporting to police and suing.

After my recent collision it was 999, statement to police, full details from, and photos of driver and car. I've got bike repaired and now I've written straight to OP with an LBA, 14 days to pay for immediate costs or it's County Court, no messing. Then there's injury compensation that I've made my intention clear about claiming, and then, hopefully, there's a police prosecution.

I'm all for making the motorists life hell in these circumstances - I've had too many near misses, and now this.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got knocked off my bike once on my way to school - walking speed or less, and no harm done. Guy jumped out & offered me a fiver to get my coat cleaned. Must admit I thought of it as a result at the time!

Top Bottom