My brother was knocked off his bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

Last week my brother was cycling down Spring Bank, going straight down from Princes Ave into town, when a car coming out of a side street hit him. My brother landed on the bonnet, his bike carried on without him, then the car braked and he landed with a bump on the road. He only got a bit of road rash on his bum so don't feel too sorry for him, the story is weird rather than sad. Anyway, he leapt up and started shouting at the bloke, but the guy apologised a few times and said he was looking the other way (:rolleyes:) so my brother stopped shouting and picked up his bike. The wheel was obviously bent. The guy starts saying "you can still ride, yes?" Erm, no. My brother spun the wheel to demonstrate that he wasn't going anywhere on that bike. The bloke offers him £20, he's very sorry, no harm done, etc. My brother declines, he obviously wants the damage paying for, and he's going to take the bike to a bike shop to have it looked at, so he gets the guy's phone number and later gets a quote, it'll only cost £70 to fix. So he rings the bloke up and they agree to meet outside a shop near where the accident happened. My brother is waiting outside the shop when the guy walks PAST him, waves, and carries on around the street corner. Weird. My brother wonders whether he's going to get beat up as soon as he walks around the corner, but being well 'ard (he thinks) he follows only to see the guy get into his car and unwrap a Mars Bar. So he knocks on the window and asks him for his £70. The guy again offers him £20. He tries to haggle for a while, then eventually hands over the £70.

Maybe a boring story, but can you believe the gall of this guy?! Who, after knocking someone off their bike in an accident that was clearly their fault, messes around like that over £70? He's lucky it wasn't an expensive bike, lucky my brother wasn't really injured (or tried to claim for injuries), and bloody lucky that he didn't kill him.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Last week my brother was cycling down Spring Bank, going straight down from Princes Ave into town, when a car coming out of a side street hit him. My brother landed on the bonnet, his bike carried on without him, then the car braked and he landed with a bump on the road. He only got a bit of road rash on his bum so don't feel too sorry for him, the story is weird rather than sad. Anyway, he leapt up and started shouting at the bloke, but the guy apologised a few times and said he was looking the other way (:rolleyes:) so my brother stopped shouting and picked up his bike. The wheel was obviously bent. The guy starts saying "you can still ride, yes?" Erm, no. My brother spun the wheel to demonstrate that he wasn't going anywhere on that bike. The bloke offers him £20, he's very sorry, no harm done, etc. My brother declines, he obviously wants the damage paying for, and he's going to take the bike to a bike shop to have it looked at, so he gets the guy's phone number and later gets a quote, it'll only cost £70 to fix. So he rings the bloke up and they agree to meet outside a shop near where the accident happened. My brother is waiting outside the shop when the guy walks PAST him, waves, and carries on around the street corner. Weird. My brother wonders whether he's going to get beat up as soon as he walks around the corner, but being well 'ard (he thinks) he follows only to see the guy get into his car and unwrap a Mars Bar. So he knocks on the window and asks him for his £70. The guy again offers him £20. He tries to haggle for a while, then eventually hands over the £70.

Maybe a boring story, but can you believe the gall of this guy?! Who, after knocking someone off their bike in an accident that was clearly their fault, messes around like that over £70? He's lucky it wasn't an expensive bike, lucky my brother wasn't really injured (or tried to claim for injuries), and bloody lucky that he didn't kill him.

As your brother was injured, I would have called the police, and taken the guy (insurance) to the cleaners (if you pardon the expression).

I love it when people try and estimate damage :tongue:

Glad your brothers ok and he got his moneys. Nice one. ;)

As your brother was injured, I would have called the police, and taken the guy (insurance) to the cleaners (if you pardon the expression).

I'd rather him of done what he has, from the sounds of it the road rash hasn't caused any major annoyance. So forgive and forget etc. People do make genuine mistakes.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I love it when people try and estimate damage :tongue:

Glad your brothers ok and he got his moneys. Nice one. ;)

I'd rather him of done what he has, from the sounds of it the road rash hasn't caused any major annoyance. So forgive and forget etc. People do make genuine mistakes.

Fair do's, but I am not in a pro-motorist frame of mind at the moment.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

It's long been observed that after accidents people have a change of heart. It's why it's best to let insurance companies, police and others deal with it on your behalf.

Agreed about reporting it to the police, as he was injured however minor.

I would have given him the chance to pay for damage to bike and my clothing etc. If he wasnt forthcoming I would have gone through his insurance, not to 'take him to the cleaners' but merely re-coup my costs.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Insurance all the way. It's an injury accident. even minor injuries can get £1000 pay out without even going to court.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Its not just about getting fair money, its about putting it on their record when you go through the insurer. I'm all for shaking hands if theres no harm done, but driving right into someone is an unrealistic way to drive. People like that also end up raising the insurance premiums of everyone else.

Taxing. Has he got the guy's reg? Get him to fill it in on stopSMIDSY and crimestoppers!!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Sue the ASS off him :smile:

I didnt normally look at things like I do now,

but since my Accident in July, the TP's insurence Company have still not agreed to accept liability, despre there insured being charged by the police at the scene for driving without due care, so from now on, SUE THE ASS OFF THE LOT OF EM :-)

Gaz

OP
OP
T

taxing

Its not just about getting fair money, its about putting it on their record when you go through the insurer. I'm all for shaking hands if theres no harm done, but driving right into someone is an unrealistic way to drive. People like that also end up raising the insurance premiums of everyone else.

Taxing. Has he got the guy's reg? Get him to fill it in on stopSMIDSY and crimestoppers!!

No, he didn't get it.

He's not interested in reporting the guy, so anyone advocating taking it further is wasting their breath. Live and let live, no harm done, etc.

... am I right in thinking you have never been run off your bike?

You are correct, but, as far as I see it, if it's a genuine accident, and any damage is paid for, then I don't see the need to sue or claim on anyones insurance.

and if I were to be knocked off, touch wood, then I'd gladly understand if it was an accident, and if any damage was paid for, then I wouldn't care too much.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
taxing, it is your brother's decision to not go further, which has to be respected. Unfortunately, all that does is reinforce it into the mind of a bad driver that they can get away with it 'if they offer a tenner'.

It doesn't make the bad driving go away, but points on the license and a loss of no-claims is a better deterrant IMO and might just make the prats think about their responsibility towards other road users.

Top Bottom