My card's been scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 4863209, member: 9609"]does tin foil block the reader ? a lead lined wallet would be a bit heavy but what materials would be best to disrupt the signals ?[/QUOTE]

Kryptonite.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I forgot to mention this the other day. My replacement card arrived on Wednesday. I know (thought) they'd send a following letter,about 2 days later with a new PIN number on. Seeing as the supposed letter would be sent to my now locked up old flat,i couldn't activate my new card without finding out the new PIN. I'd run out of cash so i couldn't even buy a bus ticket to go to the nearest branch 3.5 miles away,so i biked it,taking bills/letters to prove who i was/am. They scrutinised the letters and asked me security questions,all taking about 20 minutes. Then they said,right here's your PIN number. But that's the same one i had before,i replied. Yes,we thought you couldn't remember it said the cashier. Of course i could remember it,but i thought you gave a new PIN number when handing out new cards,i replied.
Silly me. All that hassle. I could've just used it straight away, if i'd known you kept the same PIN.:blush:

classic33

Leg End Member
I forgot to mention this the other day. My replacement card arrived on Wednesday. I know (thought) they'd send a following letter,about 2 days later with a new PIN number on. Seeing as the supposed letter would be sent to my now locked up old flat,i couldn't activate my new card without finding out the new PIN. I'd run out of cash so i couldn't even buy a bus ticket to go to the nearest branch 3.5 miles away,so i biked it,taking bills/letters to prove who i was/am. They scrutinised the letters and asked me security questions,all taking about 20 minutes. Then they said,right here's your PIN number. But that's the same one i had before,i replied. Yes,we thought you couldn't remember it said the cashier. Of course i could remember it,but i thought you gave a new PIN number when handing out new cards,i replied.
Silly me. All that hassle. I could've just used it straight away, if i'd known you kept the same PIN.:blush:
Change it to one you'll remember just as easily. When you get the chance.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The scanner could simply be relaying the transaction conversation over some other connection (possibly even mobile data) to another person buying shoot with a phone app in a wallet. The shop can't see the card, so can't see they don't physically have it.

Of course, this is much less scary than cloning a card, at least while the transaction limit is £30.

They can be read. Even my old kit can see up to 16 cards at once because it's the sort of thing you may want to do for bulk-issuing of cards. I suspect most till software just aborts if it can see multiple cards because it can't tell which you want to use. Scammers won't care as long as they can use something.

You can't replay transactions to buy stuff. The conversation is unique to every transaction and the remote machine needs to know the crypto codes generated but never shared in the original conversation. So it'd just fail completely.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can't replay transactions to buy stuff. The conversation is unique to every transaction and the remote machine needs to know the crypto codes generated but never shared in the original conversation. So it'd just fail completely.
I wrote relaying, not replaying. I know it's robust against replay attacks, but they are vulnerable to relaying because the card doesn't require being pressed and doesn't bleep or anything to say it's being used.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... A PITA that could have been avoided if they would have let me let them know in advance that I was going to be in Colorado. ...

The Halifax bank was notorious for stopping cards abroad even when they'd been informed by the card holder that it would be used abroad.

Top Bottom