My card's been scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My PayPal was hacked and used to buy £500 of stuff from JD Sports. They said they couldn't stop it being collected and charged. So I told them the card was cancelled and PayPal had blocked it. Suddenly the lady on the phone declared that they'd managed to stop it within 1 minute.
Strange how a guarantee of no cash spurs people on.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
could have been avoided if they would have let me let them know in advance that I was going to be in Colorado. But of course that's not necessary these days

My bank asks for that, it even has an automated telephone service where you give details of the dates you'll be away etc.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Don't worry Accy I'm writing a book
called " The adventures of Accy cyclist".
It will be a guaranteed best seller I've got plenty of material, obviously I will need your bank details so I can forward your share of the profits.
[QUOTE 4861887, member: 9609"]yeah really. Until this thread I had never heard of it. My wife points out to me that my own card is contactless (has a little symbol on like a sound thing) but I never use my card outside the house so it is something I will have never encountered.

How do they work ? they don't seem to have a battery in them[/QUOTE]
The till reads a micro chip on them. I think?:scratch:

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 4861900, member: 9609"]but how ? if the card is not transmitting anything how does something else read it ? is it like some sort of sonar ?[/QUOTE]

Sort of!

RFID for cards, NFC for mobiles/wearable tech.

Top Bottom