My card's been scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
If you have/use a contactless card isn't it possible for someone to walk past you with a handheld scanner?
I think they would have to get very close, IIRC they would have to get their reader within at least 4 cms of your card. Its possible but its not as simple as walking a round a shopping centre for few hours and walking out with the details of everyone you walk past.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think they would have to get very close, IIRC they would have to get their reader within at least 4 cms of your card. Its possible but its not as simple as walking a round a shopping centre for few hours and walking out with the details of everyone you walk past.
Hmm, tube trains in London?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It depends on the reader and whether you doctor it to exceed the official power limits (I've got one which can, as I did some RFID stuff for work... it's big enough to be suspicious - about the size of a small radio - but I could put it in a bag and wire it to an antenna in a glove or something). If you're worried about this, put foil around the outside of your wallet and it'll prevent most attempts - in my experience, most card readers get unhappy if you keep your card next to your bike and house keys.

But check your card transactions occasionally anyway - don't just pay the bills without checking.

Inertia

Hmm, tube trains in London?
i should add that the details they get from this wouldn't let them copy your card; I also dont think they would be able to charge it without a genuine reader.

Inertia

It depends on the reader and whether you doctor it to exceed the official power limits (I've got one which can, as I did some RFID stuff for work... it's big enough to be suspicious - about the size of a small radio - but I could put it in a bag and wire it to an antenna in a glove or something). If you're worried about this, put foil around the outside of your wallet and it'll prevent most attempts - in my experience, most card readers get unhappy if you keep your card next to your bike and house keys.

But check your card transactions occasionally anyway - don't just pay the bills without checking.
I do that anyway but I dont actually worry about contactless card fraud by cloning, is there any evidence of it actually happening successfully?

mjr

I do that anyway but I dont actually worry about contactless card fraud by cloning, is there any evidence of it actually happening successfully?
Not that I know of, but I think it's very likely that scammers have better kit than what's been sitting on a software developer's shelf for a few years and this isn't the sort of stuff that anyone's going to shout too loudly about because it'll scare shoppers and the precautions are pretty simple stuff like checking transactions that we should do anyway.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not that I know of, but I think it's very likely that scammers have better kit than what's been sitting on a software developer's shelf for a few years and this isn't the sort of stuff that anyone's going to shout too loudly about because it'll scare shoppers and the precautions are pretty simple stuff like checking transactions that we should do anyway.

Isn't just a bit of outsourcing on the down low? even though it doesn't currently directly effect me It isn't something I ever volunteered for.

Inertia

Oh I agree but we are also sometimes in danger of worrying people too much so they wont even use new technologies because they are paranoid. Instead of checking their bills they will try and avoid any problems altogether by not using the techology at all.

If the cards arent capable of providing details that would be needed to clone then it doesn't matter what range the scanner has.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you have/use a contactless card isn't it possible for someone to walk past you with a handheld scanner?
Keep a second card behind it, neither will be readable. Both cards seen as one.

mjr

If the cards arent capable of providing details that would be needed to clone then it doesn't matter what range the scanner has.
The scanner could simply be relaying the transaction conversation over some other connection (possibly even mobile data) to another person buying shoot with a phone app in a wallet. The shop can't see the card, so can't see they don't physically have it.

Of course, this is much less scary than cloning a card, at least while the transaction limit is £30.

Keep a second card behind it, neither will be readable. Both cards seen as one.
They can be read. Even my old kit can see up to 16 cards at once because it's the sort of thing you may want to do for bulk-issuing of cards. I suspect most till software just aborts if it can see multiple cards because it can't tell which you want to use. Scammers won't care as long as they can use something.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have 2 card protection slips in my wallet..i guess there foil with a thin plastic wrap.
I always have my wallet in my front pocket so i can keep my hand on it when in prime pick pocket places.

Their rather good these finger smiths..but they struggle to take it from a hand in a pocket.

I cant believe people have valuable stuff in back packs and cargo lower leg pockets..quick Stanley blade and its out.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Natwest let you inform them of overseas travel in advance via the App, did it recently for Spain, not that I used m y debit card

Nationwide has something similar, you tell them where and when you are going to be away. I have in the past had the card declined and then a phone call to enquire if I was attempting to use it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went into the bank yesterday,to order a new card and draw some money out. The woman behind the counter started coughing a bit,then it broke out into a full scale coughing gagging,choking attack! Everything alright? i asked. She jumped up and dived for the water dispenser,saying the air conditioning was choking her. Honestly,she coughed all over my utility bill, passport and community charge letters. Those in the queue were looking at me like it was my fault. I don't think i'll be going in there again in a hurry.:unsure:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I went into the bank yesterday,to order a new card and draw some money out. The woman behind the counter started coughing a bit,then it broke out into a full scale coughing gagging,choking attack! Everything alright? i asked. She jumped up and dived for the water dispenser,saying the air conditioning was choking her. Honestly,she coughed all over my utility bill, passport and community charge letters. Those in the queue were looking at me like it was my fault. I don't think i'll be going in there again in a hurry.:unsure:
She could have said No to getting cash though.

Some air conditioning units really dry out the air, which if you're stuck in a building with one can be bad.

Top Bottom