My CGR Frame Has Expired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My CGR frame has finally succumbed to the small crack it had
I kept riding it, until l decided what to do
It started as a small mark (about the size of a ballpoint pen tip)
The black is where the seat-post grease has leached out
E4752906-597F-44D8-B523-9F8108527862.jpeg

A1053AC7-E4D4-49B1-B6B3-DD48CA149128.jpeg

I have asked Ribble if they still have any in the warehouse, but no
I’m not a fan of the present CGR frames, as l don’t like the dropped seat/stays
Or, indeed the price; £799 for the aluminium frame!!!
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-orange-frameset/?childSku=BDCGRAORFRS

I quite fancied the Kinesis 4s Disc frame-set, until l saw the price (the pink one)
However, like most new framesets, it requires 'through-axles' & I've only recently bought a new pair of wheels (on QRs)
https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Racelight/4S-DISC

Even Decathlon was investigated, there is a ‘cheapie’ that could have all the Tiagra (& hydraulic brakes) from mine moved over to it
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-120-disc-brake/_/R-p-308064?mc=8554265

So, EBay was investigated, & a Planet-X London Road found, in the same size (same geometry, so I can have the same 'set-back), with a reasonable reserve on it

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a hell of a crack - how long was the seat post inserted ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe point for future, if you buy wheels or have wheels built with the capability of swapping out the hub end caps to convert from QR to thru axels. Hope hubs come to mind-not cheap but certainly worth it if you swap wheels on different frames.

I had some wheels built up with Hope hubs I had on my shelf for like 8 years, I bought some new caps to convert them.

@CXRAndy

True enough, a work-collegue who has Hope wheels tried to talk me into a pair (originally it had Mavic Aksyiums), but as it is primarily a workbike, I didn't really want to go so expensive for that
Admittedly, it lives inside, at work at the moment (behind locked doors, with the approach covered by CCTV)) but that may change soon, so for that reason I didn't want a £500 pair of wheels

Rather curiously, I won the London Road frame, but.............. the sale has been cancelled & monies refunded:wacko:
it seems (I surmise?) that the vendor is on holiday somewhere & has decided to stay longer, so without asking if I'd be prepared to wait for his return just 'walked away'
A great pity, as it's almost a millmetre/degree perfect match (also disc & mudguard compatible)

vickster

Legendary Member

Tom B

Guru
Is it alu?

How long has the crack been developing? My ALU frame is approaching 10 years daily use and I'm fearing this day.

@vickster; As much as I'd like a titanium frame, I'm not running to that kind of money, for a work bike
The 725 looks nice in the metallic copper
(I have an old titanium framed bike hanging up in the garage, that I used for a while, but it's restricted to '20' section tyres with (Salmon 'profil') mudguards

@Tom B; over a few weeks
It was a case of keep riding, as repair can be awkward
That said, I once had my Pace RC100 welded/updated, but that was at the factory, & possibly even by the chap that built it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Rather curiously, I won the London Road frame, but.............. the sale has been cancelled & monies refunded:wacko:
it seems (I surmise?) that the vendor is on holiday somewhere & has decided to stay longer, so without asking if I'd be prepared to wait for his return just 'walked away'
A great pity, as it's almost a millmetre/degree perfect match (also disc & mudguard compatible)

Or more likely it didn't reach the reserve that the seller didn't set as that costs more money

Is it alu?

How long has the crack been developing? My ALU frame is approaching 10 years daily use and I'm fearing this day.

Or more likely it didn't reach the reserve that the seller didn't set as that costs more money
I offered him the asking price (ie; Buy It Now), & a message to offer more for a part-way meet
725 steel bikes in metallic copper are the best…mine has done over 10k miles
May I see a picture of it please??

Top Bottom