My Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
2 miles away from works doesn't mean you can't cycle 6-10 miles to work and 6-10 home. It is the routine that matters once you have established the loop route and make that a habit you have cracked it.

The next thing to do is start to accumulate winter kit now while it is on special offer. I did 1500 miles in my first year and stopped in October, then did 2500 March to November. The next year I prepared properly for winter and cycled right through and not stopped since. Cycling through winter is not that difficult as long as you have the right kit to keep warm and relatively dry if you get a routine of riding regularly during the summer it should be seamless keeping it up during the winter.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Unfortunately I work 2 minute walk from where I live. So the idea is to do a daily ride of 13 miles each morning before work eventually.

If the 7500 miles does indeed appear to be easily achievable I may extend it as time progresses. I was going to set it at 10,000 initially, but thought that would be too much. 3 Years is a lot of time to put in consistent mileage each week, I am sure once I am up to speed I won't think like that, but its still early days.
I know this sounds a bit weird, but one thing that worked for me was moving farther away from work. 3 years ago, I was getting bored with my 5km commute to work, so moved farther away to increase my commuting distance. I was never motivated to take the train to work, and it helps that I've never had a car, so motivating myself to cycle to work every day was easier. But of course, everyone's personal situation differs :smile:.

OP
OP
N

NinjaAce

Regular
Hi LOCO,

Think you might have misread that. I live 2 minutes walk from work. I am practically opposite the office. This is why I am trying to get some daily morning rides of around 13 miles.

Great suggestion on the winter kit. Didn't think to start shopping for that now. Also great to hear my goals are achievable as at the moment they feel way off.

Scott

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Hi LOCO,

Think you might have misread that. I live 2 minutes walk from work. I am practically opposite the office. This is why I am trying to get some daily morning rides of around 13 miles.

Great suggestion on the winter kit. Didn't think to start shopping for that now. Also great to hear my goals are achievable as at the moment they feel way off.

Scott
Oh yeah I read it as two miles! Change job or move :-) Seriously it is really about getting a routine and making it something you do on auto pilot whatever the weather conditions are, which is why commuting is the suggestion. Your target is achievable. I was 10 years older than you when I got back to cycling and weighed in at 17st. My first commute took me 1 hour 30 odd minutes for 14.8 miles plus 30 minutes slumped on my sofa in "recovery" beetroot red and sweating buckets.

OP
OP
N

NinjaAce

Regular
Oh yeah I read it as two miles! Change job or move :-) Seriously it is really about getting a routine and making it something you do on auto pilot whatever the weather conditions are, which is why commuting is the suggestion.

Yeah, this is on the cards for next year. I think we are moving further away, not sure how far though. But far enough to get me to use the bike daily.

OP
OP
N

NinjaAce

Regular
You've already started so the hard bit is done Scott... keep CCing, we'll keep you going!
Thanks, managed to get 17 miles in yesterday.

After ending spending £210 at the local bike shop on new shoes, pedals, bike service and helmet. They did help with my positioning though which seemed to help a lot.

OP
OP
N

NinjaAce

Regular
Just to keep you updated.

I have managed to get some good rides and putting in the mileage is certainly helping. I am knocking a lot of time of previous rides and my even ride has gone from 13 miles ish to 23 miles ish. Taking in some bigger hills as well.

The only disadvantage being I am spending most of my time when not cycling, thinking about cycling and planning the next ride.

If it keeps up like this I should be able to hit some of my goals soon.

I am loving it, but worried I might end up doing too much, any advise on how to determine if your doing to much to start? I am trying to take the odd rest day when I feel tired, but I don't have a set routine currently.

Scott

Top Bottom