My Chilli con carne recipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Made this yesterday, thought I’d share the recipe for anyone that’s interested.
This makes a big batch so enough to freeze as well.
2 white onions chopped
750g good quality beef mince
4 red chillis chopped
2 Tins tomatoes
Good dollop of tomato purée
2 cubes beef stock (I use those stock pots but oxo cubes would be ok)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tin kidney beans drained
1 tin pinto beans drained
1 tin borlotti beans drained

Brown off the onions and add the chillis for a couple of minutes, add and brown off the mince. Lower the heat to medium
Add the tinned tomatoes, purée and stock, let that cook for 5 minutes then add all the herb/spices. Cook for anther 5 minutes then add all the beans, season and cover, Turn the heat down low and cook for 3-4 hours stirring every 20 minutes or so.
Cooking for this amount of time really ramps up the flavour and is worth it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice Jay. But I'll hold the Coriander thanks. :okay:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
If you are lazy git like me easiest way to brown your mince is to whack it into the oven, well spread on a flat tray

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Made this yesterday, thought I’d share the recipe for anyone that’s interested.
This makes a big batch so enough to freeze as well.
2 white onions chopped
750g good quality beef mince
4 red chillis chopped
2 Tins tomatoes
Good dollop of tomato purée
2 cubes beef stock (I use those stock pots but oxo cubes would be ok)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tin kidney beans drained
1 tin pinto beans drained
1 tin borlotti beans drained

Brown off the onions and add the chillis for a couple of minutes, add and brown off the mince. Lower the heat to medium
Add the tinned tomatoes, purée and stock, let that cook for 5 minutes then add all the herb/spices. Cook for anther 5 minutes then add all the beans, season and cover, Turn the heat down low and cook for 3-4 hours stirring every 20 minutes or so.
Cooking for this amount of time really ramps up the flavour and is worth it.

View attachment 520287
Only 4 Chillies.............................................Wimp. :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nice Jay. But I'll hold the Coriander thanks. :okay:
Are you one of those people who think it tastes like soap? Apparently there's a genetic mutation that makes some people really hate it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one but I’d substitute chicken stock cubes for the beef as they can be a bit overpowering.
Haven’t tried adding Pinto and Borlotti beans but will give it a go.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
:hungry: Love a chilli- no stock cubes, cinnamon, cumin or coriander in ours but a splash of Henderson's, a level tsp of salt, loads of garlic and a tin of chick peas!

12boy

Guru
Sounds a lot like Cincinnati chile, usually found paired with hot dogs and which was, I believe, created by a Macedonian guy who emigrated to Ohio.
In New Mexico, where I lived from age 10 to 20, the recipe was simpler. Ground beef, browned with onion and garlic, cooked pinto beans and a cup or so of ground red Chile. Canned or fresh tomatoes can be added. Some heathens add cumin. Salt and pepper to taste. We call this simply "red chile".Simmer for an hour. We call this simply " red chile". Eat. Eat more. Usually accompanied with....
Wheat flour tortillas, made with lard, to scoop the Chile, or as burritos
Diced tomatoes, chopped onions and shredded lettuce
Lots of grated cheese, usually cheddar, but jack is ok
Corn chips a la nachos
Fried Corn tortillas, hard or soft, as tacos or when rolled and smothered in red Chile sauce, as enchiladas
Enchiladas can be rolled or flat and served with a fried egg on top, BTW
There are puffy fried breads, Indian fry bread or Sopapillas, for example, which can be opened and filled with chile con carne, cheese, tomatoes etc. The Sopapillas are frequently served along with a meal, piping hot at which point a hole is poked and honey dribbled in to taste.
We also eat green Chile, made with the same Anaheim or Mira Sol Chile's but while still green, not dried and ground into red Chile above.
This is made with chunks of pork about as big as the first joint of your thumb, browned with garlic and onions and then we add lots of chopped green Chile and fresh or canned chopped tomatoes and simmer until tender. In the fall, in Colorado and New Mexico, there are big metal barrels made of steel grates in which bushel after bushel of fresh green Chiles are roasted so the papery skins can be removed and then frozen. Some are left to ripen to red and braided into "ristras", and hung to dry. Then if we want to make red chile, we break a few off and grind them up.
If these instructions seem vague it is because everyone has their own recipes, often passed down for generations.

Top Bottom