My daughter learning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladderhead

Lower the saddle so she can get her feet down easily. Remove the pedals. The balancing is the hard part. Once she can balance she can start pedalling. Best if you can find a place with a slight downslope, because there it is easier to get away from a standing start. Tarmac is better than grass, because the bike will roll more easily.

You could even get her a recumbent.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
:laugh:
Made me chuckle

But her daughter might be training for triathlon, she could practise a bike / swim transition.

alvintc

Veteran
My 5 year old has been solo for about 3 months. Started on a BSO then I caved & he's on a frog (2 younger kids so the costs stack up).

I used the Islabikes video. He was on his own in about 20 minutes (me alongside), then within the 45 he was off. He's had balance bikes & never used stabilisers.

steven1988

Veteran
Check out the ready set ride app by british cycling, lots of pointers and lots of on and off bike games to play to make teaching fun rather than scary.

KneesUp

Guru
DD took a while to learn. She was good on a scooter (terrifyingly fast, in fact) but couldn't 'get' cycling at first -she kept forgetting to pedal. She was ok rolling down a (grassy) hill. The 'hold on to the saddle' thing worked quite well, but there is only so far you can run when you are bent double so I got one of those handle-things that attach at the rear wheel, so I could at least stand up straight. That was quite good. Stabilisers less so - they create too much drag on the grass. When she got disheatened by falling off I made up the statistic that on average it takes 200 fallings-off before people can ride a bike. I didn't expect her to keep count, but she did, and would then get back on saying 'only 190 fallings-off to go!' and stuff. Fortunately she learned before she got to 200 :smile:

Top Bottom