My ex thinks cycling tests and insurance should be compulsary for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
GrasB said:
That said I think it'd back fire & you'd end up seeing more people driving without a licence, consequently uninsured etc
Yes, we'd have to also reverse the decline we've seen in the numbers of traffic cops on our roads. But then that's needed anyway.

darkstar

Ben Lovejoy said:
Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.

Well you cut out the majority of my post, I've also gone over this topic a month or so back. But the idea of forcing everyone to ride motorbikes is, in my opinion, an outstandingly stupid idea. It's dangerous, extremly problematic, expensive and thoughtless. How's that for a contribution?...

darkstar

As for the idea to make people retake their driving test every 5 year, I agree. I passed 3 years ago, nearly 4 and would be happy to retake. As long as you arnt tested on the ridiculous stuff, such as hand positioning and pre drive checks etc...

CopperBrompton

darkstar said:
It's dangerous, extremly problematic, expensive and thoughtless. How's that for a contribution?...
Ok, let's take this one step at a time: why is it dangerous?

GrasB

Veteran
darkstar, have you done an RoSPA AD or an IAM AD driving test? I assume IAM-standard tests are similar to the RoSPA test considering they both use road craft.

darkstar

Ben Lovejoy said:
Ok, let's take this one step at a time: why is it dangerous?

Well... I'm no expert, but I recon if you shove millions of people on motorbikes, whom would not usually choose to, that's just asking for accidents.

darkstar

GrasB said:
darkstar, have you done an RoSPA AD or an IAM AD driving test? I assume IAM-standard tests are similar to the RoSPA test considering they both use road craft.

No I've completed pass lus, but that doesn't really count. I did complete a course on a skid pan though, which was quite usefull.

CopperBrompton

I've done both, and they're very similar.

The only difference in procedure I can recall is that for the RoSPA test, I was advised to demonstrate a cockpit check at the start of the test, whereas this wasn't suggested for the IAM test. This is optional, but I think it's required as part of the standard needed to get a Gold - which is the other difference between the two ...

With the IAM test, it's a pass or a fail; with RoSPA, it's Gold/Silver/Bronze/Unclassified. An IAM pass is equivalent to either a Gold or a Silver, and an IAM fail is equivalent to either a Bronze or an Unclassified.

CopperBrompton

darkstar said:
I recon if you shove millions of people on motorbikes, whom would not usually choose to, that's just asking for accidents.
Not if they are properly trained, and especially not if they'd had to demonstrate cycling skills first.

CopperBrompton

User3143 said:
Eh? How can you compare riding a pushbike to riding a 500cc mbike?
<Sigh> Regular cyclists have an advantage when it comes to learning to ride a motorcycle as they already have the roadsense and balance skills. They then get training to ride a motorcycle (and a 33bhp one would be fine).

said people could go to the Doctors and get an exemption? The cost of this medical I presume they would have to pay?
A tiny minority of non-registered-disabled people might have to pay £20 for a GP's letter, yes; hardly a deal-breaker in the total costs of learning to drive, is it?

GrasB

Veteran
Ben Lovejoy said:
I've done both, and they're very similar.

The only difference in procedure I can recall is that for the RoSPA test, I was advised to demonstrate a cockpit check at the start of the test, whereas this wasn't suggested for the IAM test. This is optional, but I think it's required as part of the standard needed to get a Gold - which is the other difference between the two ...

With the IAM test, it's a pass or a fail; with RoSPA, it's Gold/Silver/Bronze/Unclassified. An IAM pass is equivalent to either a Gold or a Silver, and an IAM fail is equivalent to either a Bronze or an Unclassified.

Yes cockpit check & commentary are certainly required for Gold standard, quite funny doing a commentated cockpit check in a road legal rally/sprint/hill climber. It's hard but my understanding is you can get a Silver without a commentary or cockpit check.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
wafflycat said:
...And cyclists & peds are the same in that both have a right to use the public highway, whereas when we are driving, we do not have a right, merely a *licence* ...

wafflycat said:
... we have a right to use our pedal cycles, whereas we don't have a right to drive - we have a LICENCE to drive...

I keep seeing this said on cycling forums, but I'm not aware of it in law - is this law, or just semantics?

Top Bottom