My exceptionally slow heart rate ...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Like BMI, but that doesnt stop the NHS treating it like the holy grail.

I can imagine the Knights of Ni working in A&E

wonderloaf

Veteran
Do you have low blood pressure too, also a cause of postural hypotension
Actually I do! The GP said not too worry as this is also related to the slow heart beat.

Thanks for finding this :okay:, makes it all much clearer now and I can stop being concerned, can't believe I've got something in common with endurance athletes! Think I'll be taking up the advice to increase my fluid intake, just in case ... :cheers:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not much to be done for low BP (it's much better than high), staying well hydrated can help :cheers:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Actually I do! The GP said not too worry as this is also related to the slow heart beat.

Thanks for finding this :okay:, makes it all much clearer now and I can stop being concerned, can't believe I've got something in common with endurance athletes! Think I'll be taking up the advice to increase my fluid intake, just in case ... :cheers:

I too have a resting HR in mid 40's. Again due to regular long term endurance exercise. It's been that way at least 11-12 years since I've measured it. A tip in the linked article is to pause briefly if moving from lying to standing. So lie, sit, stand with brief pauses between each. That works for me rather than jumping up off the recliner like I'm about to start a 100 m sprint.

The reason the light headedness is considered an age thing is that the baroreceptors decline or become less sensitive with age. So making it harder to maintain the correct blood pressure as you stand and have a low resting HR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroreceptor

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
I went through a period a couple of months ago where it was quite bad, everytime even if I got up from sitting slowly I would go very dizzy, once or twice I even felt faint, it was this (and Mrs W bless her) that prompted me to see the GP.
For some reason it's much better now, although my HR, weight, etc is still the same.:wacko:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My resting heart rate has always been low as has my blood pressure, and I seem to notice the symptoms more while relaxing during periods when my levels of exercise are higher than normal. Several years ago I suddenly started passing out every time I fell sleep at night, and the following day I was diagnosed with Bradycardia due to Sick Sinus Syndrome and fitted with a pacemaker which stops my heart dropping below 60bpm. When I exercise my heart easily reaches 160+ bpm by itself (I’m 59) and I can comfortably maintain it there for long periods without any problems, but if it wasn’t for the pacemaker then there would be long pauses of 8 seconds while sleeping.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for finding this :okay:, makes it all much clearer now and I can stop being concerned, can't believe I've got something in common with endurance athletes!
Me too - LINK! :laugh:

Top Bottom