My favourite movie is...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Warriors
Kiss Me Deadly
Point Break
The Sacrifice

DP, if we ever meet IRL, we will have a lot in common in terms of taste, what with these and fine beer...

And I also love Once Were Warriors, Vanishing Point, Casablanca, Amelie, Blade Runner and quite a few others already mentioned. Ans as long as no-one mentions The Green Mile or Forrest Gump, I am going to say nothing critical about anyone else's choices!

Anyway, I will have to add some different films, and it has to be 'films', as I really can't chose a single favourite.

Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation - because it's the best surveillance film ever.
Woody Allen's Love and Death - because it's hilarious.
Kim Ki-Duk's Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring - because it's beautiful.
Kore-Eda Hirokazu's Still Walking - because it's perfectly observed.
Howard Hawks' The Big Sleep - because it's Bogart and Bacall at their best.
Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove - because it's like nothing else ever made in its bleak satire.
Isao Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies - because it is the saddest film ever made, even more so because it's an animation.

These are just a few; they could be different if you asked me tomorrow.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I like nearly all of those already mentioned so rather than repeat any I'll add a couple of new ones to the list:

Tell No-one
Clerks
Il postino
Kagemusha
Cinema Paradiso
Heartbreak Ridge
Pane, amore e...

Also anything starring, or by, Clint Eastwood or Vittorio De Sica.

GC

edited to correct typo

Herr-B

And there's the problem with this kind of thread - you see the title, work out a really good film then change your mind with every post as you read through.

I think for me it had to be Pulp Fiction, but there are sooooo many others, most mentioned above mine.

I haven't seen "Rita Sue and Bob One" yet.

That is just about the plot !

My faves seem to be linked to seeing them at the cinema. Life of Brian was banned where I lived so I went in to London to see it. I would probably make that top if the cut out the silly space ship bit.

I am not a great one for seeing films again too often so tend to have great anticipation with a new film rather than love for an old one.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
"The Forbidden Planet". Based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest".
If you like the adaptation of classic stuff then check out;

Kiss me Kate/ 10 things I hate about you - Taming of the shrew
West side story - Romeo and Juliet
Bridget Jones- Pride and predjudice
O brother where art thou- Odyssey (with the brilliant soggy bottom boys!)
Roxanne- Cyrano de Bergerac
She's the man- Twelth night

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Howard Hawks' The Big Sleep - because it's Bogart and Bacall at their best."

I reckon To Have and Have Not takes that honour...and to think it was Bacall's first movie, and she was just 19 at the time, boggles the mind. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?"

Top Bottom