My first 100 mile ride!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Today I went from Epping to Newmarket and back (circular route). I'd planned on about 80 (previous longest ride 65 miles) and got a bit carried away!!!!!

Anyway, very pleased with the way it went, feel relatively okay now and managed to average 14mph with the last 45 miles into a fairly stiff wind (averaged 16moh prior to that), so all in all, I'm pretty pleased with myself!!

On top of that, it was only my second time out on my new bike - Van Nicholas Euros - which i absolutely love. So comfortable and responsive. I'll write a review another time.

I know I probably wouldn't have managed this ride on my old bike - Giant TCR C3 - as it was seriosuly uncomfortable after more than 2/3 hours.

So, on the back of that, I've entered the Spring Lambs Sportive (Essex Sportive ina few weeks time!!!).

Well chuffed.

RedBike

It sounds like you were flying to me

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Forgot to mention, as such, the Giant will be up on ebay from this Saturday. It's a medium frame and is the right size for me (I'm 5ft 9).

I'll post the link once the sale has started.

paddy01

Good effort fella! :evil:

And a salutory reminder to me I'm really going to have to step up the training if I'm going to even think about doing the Exmouth Exodus in June.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Good on you wyno! :angry: Great effort!

I did my first 100 mile training ride of the year yesterday and it felt like I'd never ridden that distance before ... even though I ride multi-century randonnees (audax).

I averaged just a fraction faster than you over my route (161.1 kms, 975 metres [3,199 ft] climbed). I started before light in minus zero C temperatures and it never did get much above freezing, though the day dawned sunny. Bitter headwind for much of the ride.

Well, what's next?

Good luck in the sportive!

yello

Well done wyno. Great feeling innit?

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks for the encouragement guys, much appreciated and yes, it was a great feeling to get it done. Wasn't sure I could cover the distance comfortably but I'm very happy witht he way I've felt after and quick recovery.

Hambones - link is http://www.essexsportive.com/. We probably 'nod' at each other as I often come towards the Abbey for my hilly ride, or a hilly start to a ride. Along Epping new road out of Epping, down upshire road, up woodredon road, up high beach and down into Loughton, up towards wakes arms roundabout then back down towards theydon but turn left along the road past Theydon Bois golf club, turn right, down Ivy Chimneys, out under the M11 and then left up towards Toot Hill and then out into the countryside. Nice route and the only hills about!!!!!

Whats next - not sure really, probably keep the rides under 50 miles this week and do another long one sometime the following week, then keep it light the week before the Essex Sportive.

Well done Wyno, you got one up on me...my best is 62, but I've got a 100+ pencilled in for the summer...or spring if the weather stays this good for a while!

Give yerself a beer!:biggrin:

Herlihy

Über Member
paddy01 said:
Good effort fella! :thumbsup:

And a salutory reminder to me I'm really going to have to step up the training if I'm going to even think about doing the Exmouth Exodus in June.

You're in luck Paddy. Website says it's 8 August

paddy01

Herlihy said:
You're in luck Paddy. Website says it's 8 August

The front page of the site says that yes, but if you look at the Forum it's most likely (barring anything untoward) going to be June 6th.

Onwards ever onwards :smile:

Top Bottom