My first after restrictions big ride plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have been watching cycling tours on you tube.One that I liked was North Coast 500,Imran World Cyclist.What a great channel fantastic rides.Have a look.One was America,he came to a motorcycle cafe,big big blokes who were Christian motorcyclists they prayed over his bicycle.Brilliant.

lane

Veteran
No idea too many variables and it really depends when it happens. If it's before June could well be a trip to the Netherlands. If July looks good a 100 mile Suffolk audax deferred from this year. But just about everything I have thought would happen over the past 12 months has been pretty much wrong so I will and see.

I'll so something like Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and back camping. There's a track from the reservoirs near Rhayader which looks great.

The one across to Ffair-rhos? That's seriously good riding, not just for the track itself, but for the little tarmac road down from the Teifi Pools which you emerge onto. One of the most enjoyable long downhills I've ever done.

You do have to go through a ford at one point though!

If that's the Claerwen reservoir track, it's a stunner [some posters will know of Mark Rigby's "TINAT" events in tribute to Mike Hall which used that track]. But yeah, be prepared for a very short ford crossing (I took a bag for my shoes and waded one year).
Of course all the tarmac roads near the Mid-wales reservoirs are also stunning. Llyn Brianne is my personal favourite ( just to the South, and you can take in Devils Staircase on the way :P )

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If that's the Claerwen reservoir track, it's a stunner [some posters will know of Mark Rigby's "TINAT" events in tribute to Mike Hall which used that track]. But yeah, be prepared for a very short ford crossing (I took a bag for my shoes and waded one year).
Of course all the tarmac roads near the Mid-wales reservoirs are also stunning. Llyn Brianne is my personal favourite ( just to the South, and you can take in Devils Staircase on the way :P )
The one across to Ffair-rhos? That's seriously good riding, not just for the track itself, but for the little tarmac road down from the Teifi Pools which you emerge onto. One of the most enjoyable long downhills I've ever done.

You do have to go through a ford at one point though!
Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the info about the ford, I didn't know that.

straas

Matt
I normally do a Manchester - Conwy ride once a year. Really looking forward to being able to do it again - hopefully this summer?

johnblack

Über Member
Last year when the restrictions were lifted we rode the South Downs Way - W to E, that was a great day, leading to a good weekend in Eastbourne (never thought I'd say that!). But the annual MTB Epics https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/events/ 100 mile solstice ride was cancelled, hopefully that will be back on this year. Going to do King Alfreds Way this summer, 2 or 3 days, no big rush.

And I want to get back to Belgium, really missed Flanders last year and it won't be an option this spring either. Might just go over in the summer for a few days anyway, might fit in with the Binck Bank Tour at the end of August.

As soon as restrictions are gone and life has some semblance of normal I'm loading the bike cycling to Dover via NCN 1 (Or the bits of it that are rideable at least) camping overnight and spending a day wandering around Dover Castle.

Your post got me thinking back to Easter 2019 when I walked the Saxon Shore Way from Gravesend to Hastings. The route took me past the white cliffs and down into Dover town centre. I don't really remember much about Dover but do remember ending the day just outside Folkestone and camping out on the edge of a Bronze age barrow;.

I was thinking bout this today and wife reminded me of a ride I keep wanting to do. As I live 15 mins from Heysham ferry I have always wanted to ride over to ferry and across to Isle Of Man. Cycle around the island. Maybe an overnight stay and back following day.
Been many times during TT and had a 2 week camping holiday there but never cycled. That would be my post lockdown first proper long ride if all Was possible :okay:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I was thinking bout this today and wife reminded me of a ride I keep wanting to do. As I live 15 mins from Heysham ferry I have always wanted to ride over to ferry and across to Isle Of Man. Cycle around the island. Maybe an overnight stay and back following day.
Been many times during TT and had a 2 week camping holiday there but never cycled. That would be my post lockdown first proper long ride if all Was possible :okay:
I visited the Isle of Man a couple of years ago for the first time and I don't understand why I'd never been before as it was a) easy to get to for me b) great riding, great views and c) chock full of history, which I find fascinating. I fully intend returning on the tandem with my wife. Used air bnb which worked well.

Top Bottom