My first bike accident..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Hey all,

I've been commuting the same old four miles to work and back for about the last two years and this Thursday I had my first accident. It happened here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...b0Q2-Z9Zw-Lsi47myleqqA&cbp=12,177.55,,0,16.47

In rush hour my route is pretty congested in both directions and I was travelling southbound on High Rd, passing stationary traffic on the right, using the space from the empty second lane of northbound traffic. Admitted I was going too fast but for some reason still unknown to me one of the cars I was passing started turning to the right just as I was passing. (possibly trying a turn in the road without signal????) It was too late to brake and I'm not sure what happened but I ended up hitting my left shoulder and the left side of my head on the road surface leaving a cracked helmet and a nice graze on my shoulder. I was also winded as I landed on my rucksack and something (i think my lock) jabbed me in my ribs.

The driver stopped and helped me off the road and was very nice and gave me a lift to the hospital. his driving on the way did concern me a little, and the way he turned round corners made my ribs hurt more! He stayed with me however and offered to get me food and drink.

Outcome of 3hours in A&E was strong painkillers for the bruised/fractured rib and a patch for my nasty shoulder graze.

I have had a quick look over my bike and I cant spot any damage, i think my body took most of the force somehow? I'm going to get my LBS to check the bike as I'm worried the carbon fork could be damaged.

Reading other accident stories should I have taken the guys number? I didnt want to make a fuss at the time as his car wasn't visibly damaged and the guy couldnt car less if it was. As my bike was fine (i hope) i also didnt think it was worth taking his number.

Any advice? Anyone experienced a similar crash?

Dan

Jezston

Über Member
Glad to hear you are ok, make sure you get back on the bike as soon as you can to get rid of the fear.

From reading similar stories in the past, your problems may come should you need to make a claim on the bike. I assume you have the guys details, but it's when the insurance company get involved you could have a fight on your hands.

Sorry to hear that and hope your bruises heal quickly.

I am glad he picked you up and stayed with you, perhaps felt a bit guilty. But all that time with him and you didn't think to get his number, just in case?

I really hope that everything bike wise checks out because I think you may have no way to chase up for damages if there are any...unless you bump into (not literally! :laugh:) him again.
ps. You should really report the incident to the police anyway so that they can make a note of it in case he does so for insurance purposes or whatever.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
As an accident resulting in injury has occured, regardless of who is to blame he should have provided you with details. I would also point out that despite your admission of speed this is not worth considering compared to the fact he failed to check before turning by the sounds of it. It could have been a motorcyclist and that would make a hell of a mess to his car and possibly him, and in that respect he was lucky.

Do you have his contact details? Plates? Legally the driver also has 24 hours to report the collision otherwise he's committed an offence.

Definately follow through with the LBS and get it checked over thoroughly. Make sure they check the frame for hairline fractured and bends (if alu ir carbon then this can create stress fractures later and a frame can fail).

PS nearly forgot - hope you heal up ok!

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

Hi all, thanks for your concerns. I know i was a bit silly to not get the guys number. I thought the bike looked ok so I gave him my number as he said he'd call to check up on me. In the end he didn't call.

Finish the strong painkillers tonight so i'll see if im in serious pain tomorrow - hope not!

Feel a bit embarrassed by the crash to be honest, missed a great weekend for cycling this weekend. Got to go to the LBS asap, hope the bikes ok but no visible damage, not even to the paint.

Will probably report the incident to the police tonight although nothing will come of it.

cheers again, dan

Mark_Robson

Glad to see that your relatively intact ;) I know that it's easy to be wise in hindsight but if you have an accident with a car you need to get the drivers details.
If you need more pain relief then give your GP a bell and he or she will probably give you a prescription without seeing you.
I broke my collar bone 4 weeks ago and A&E gave me a prescription for Codeine but I ended up paying £7.20 for only 20 30mg tablets. When I was down to my last six tablets and rang my GP for another prescription and he gave me a prescription for another 60 tablets. All I needed to do was to take the original bottle of pills into the surgery just to prove that I had been prescribed Codeine. If you taking Codeine it may be worth buying some Senna as well. :biggrin:

dand_uk said:
Hi all, thanks for your concerns. I know i was a bit silly to not get the guys number. I thought the bike looked ok so I gave him my number as he said he'd call to check up on me. In the end he didn't call.

Don't blame yourself...Hope you are ok.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dand_uk said:

Finish the strong painkillers tonight so i'll see if im in serious pain tomorrow - hope not!

Feel a bit embarrassed by the crash to be honest, missed a great weekend for cycling this weekend. Got to go to the LBS asap, hope the bikes ok but no visible damage, not even to the paint.

Will probably report the incident to the police tonight although nothing will come of it.

cheers again, dan

At the end of the day you could very well have been in shock, and the driver should have taken that into account. IIRC it is the obligation of the driver to give details where injury has ocurred, not for you to ask. So dont worry too much for not asking, some of us have been there and we know the mind doesnt always think straight when these things happen. :blush:

When you say it is your first, does this mean you are planning more?

Glad you are not badly hurt.

Top Bottom