My first charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Knightly85

Hello, some of you may have seen one of my posts before for thos who have not i started cycling to lose weight. Ive been cycling for 3 months now and i love it, I've lost 15 kilos and my fitness is starting to get better. I am now considering cycling in the London to Brighton charity ride this September which is 55 miles. I currently ride 15 miles a day six days a week, the most i have cycled in one ride is 20 miles so 55 will be challenging. I want to cycle for Great Ormond street hospital as i have a nephew with cerebral palsy and severe Brain Damage who has spent a lot of time in Great Ormond Street Hospital, so my question is... am I ready for this and how should i prepare myself?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
take a rest day or two and do a longer ride , build yourself up
My normal week is mon fri commute and a 60+ on a sunday

Sharky

Guru
You don't need to worry. The L2B is not like a normal charity ride. There are so many riders, that you spend a lot of time just walking, especially in the first half.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes you're ready, you've built up some bike fitness by being out regularly.
50 odd miles isn't that much, someone who can do 15 miles regularly can do that with little to no preparation and with no real problems. But a few longer rides will give you the confidence that you can do it. Leading up to the event I'd probably want to build up by doing a couple of 30, 35 mile rides. Maybe 40 if you fancy it.

The event itself, riding with other people, the excitement of the challenge, that extends your range on the day. You don't need to train to do quite the full distance.

ruffers

Veteran
Hello, some of you may have seen one of my posts before for thos who have not i started cycling to lose weight. Ive been cycling for 3 months now and i love it, I've lost 15 kilos and my fitness is starting to get better. I am now considering cycling in the London to Brighton charity ride this September which is 55 miles. I currently ride 15 miles a day six days a week, the most i have cycled in one ride is 20 miles so 55 will be challenging. I want to cycle for Great Ormond street hospital as i have a nephew with cerebral palsy and severe Brain Damage who has spent a lot of time in Great Ormond Street Hospital, so my question is... am I ready for this and how should i prepare myself?

you will be fine and well done for your efforts so far. It’s inspirational

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Yes you're ready, you've built up some bike fitness by being out regularly.
50 odd miles isn't that much, someone who can do 15 miles regularly can do that with little to no preparation and with no real problems. But a few longer rides will give you the confidence that you can do it. Leading up to the event I'd probably want to build up by doing a couple of 30, 35 mile rides. Maybe 40 if you fancy it.

The event itself, riding with other people, the excitement of the challenge, that extends your range on the day. You don't need to train to do quite the full distance.

Thank you for the confidence boost, I am going to sign up for it. Ill throw a few longer rides into my routine to get me ready.

icowden

Veteran
Agree with the above. There are two main approaches to London to Brighton:-

1) Do it as fast as possible, only stop if you have to, and get annoyed at people walking up Ditchling Beacon
2) Review the cakes at each rest stop, and at any intermediate stalls and front garden vendors you feel like. Chat to people of all shapes, ages and sizes, listen to the music that some people have strapped to their bikes, hope for sunshine, walk up the really mahoosive hills.

Top tip - make sure you have stocked up on Jellybeans to get you up Ditchling Beacon. It's a killer, but very manageable with some jellybeans and camaraderie. Plus there is a cake stop refreshment station at the top, and from that point ITS ALL DOWNHILL.

I completed it on the (pictured) Tern Joe (16kg) held together with gaffa tape (hinge failure). I had not done a long distance before. With the mileage you are doing, you shouldn't find it that tricky. If you want a nice summer intermediate route, I'd recommend the Downs Link (not from St Marthas Hill - it's not cyclable whatever the web site says go either to Broadford and join the trail at the Pillbox north of Broadford Road (towpath along the Wey to access it) or Bramley). It's 30 miles to Shoreham on Sea, or you could do West Grindstead and back again). The trail is mostly good - a little rough in places but very manageable on a road bike with wider tyres.

Top Bottom