My first Club Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
After reading around here a little, I decided to meet up with the Kingston Wheelers and go for a Club Ride - a nice flat 45mile ride at 16-18mph from Kingston to Windsor Park. A beautiful day for a ride too.

People were so chatty and made me feel really welcome, it was so much nicer than commuting or even riding at the weekends alone. I'd definitely recommend it to any others considering this to take the plunge.

Hopefully many more enjoyable rides to come ^_^

Keith Oates

Janner
Glad you enjoyed the day 2pies, as you say riding with others is usually better than riding alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I really enjoy my club rides when i get chance to go out with them , this weekend i had to take a miss with the dreaded sniffles , not man flu but i was not up to a 60 miler with it.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Must agree, rides in the company of others are really enjoyable, but the funny thing is riding on your own can also be good. You can do your own thing such as intervals, speed work, hill climbing to suit yourself etc. Also there are times when you are on your own when you can reflect and do your thinking.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I keep thinking about taking the plunge, but am full of excuses, and I guess it's just nerves about meeting new folk/joining an established group or not being good enough to keep up.

So far it's mostly commuting or solo rides, oh and trying to keep up with Mrs W on her wafer thin road tyres.

One day I'll run out of excuses and pitch up at the club run meeting point

I keep thinking about taking the plunge, but am full of excuses, and I guess it's just nerves about meeting new folk/joining an established group or not being good enough to keep up.

So far it's mostly commuting or solo rides, oh and trying to keep up with Mrs W on her wafer thin road tyres.

One day I'll run out of excuses and pitch up at the club run meeting point
I'd take the plunge. I had similar worries before I joined a club and put off till I felt I was fit enough but found that I could have joined earlier, with the motivation, drafting and a good group I could have did it sooner and I wish I had.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I'd take the plunge. I had similar worries before I joined a club and put off till I felt I was fit enough but found that I could have joined earlier, with the motivation, drafting and a good group I could have did it sooner and I wish I had.

I know, I'm in the same boat about my first sportive too. I know I'm probably fit enough as have been doing 600 miles/month for >6 months and have lost nearly 4 stone now, and for some reason I have even bought a real road bike......i need to get over the nerves and do both this coming season, as riding by yourself is easy, if not a little dull at times.

I know, I'm in the same boat about my first sportive too. I know I'm probably fit enough as have been doing 600 miles/month for >6 months and have lost nearly 4 stone now, and for some reason I have even bought a real road bike......i need to get over the nerves and do both this coming season, as riding by yourself is easy, if not a little dull at times.
Sound like you've no excuses, good luck :thumbsup:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
You will sail it mate. Have no fear......go for it. You will wonder why you worried about it in the first place. I must admit the first time I did something like this I was worried and had a few concerns. Cycling is a great leveller, people will shoot past you and it is obvious you would not be able to keep up with them, but you will then find yourseld shooting past others and will feel good yourself. All of a sudden you will find yourself in a group of similar abilities and you will get chatting as you go along and before you know it you will be hooked and looking to sign up for the next one,

Top Bottom