My First Collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good that she apologised, but the fact that she could manage to nudge you three times tells me she should not be driving, it is only a matter of time that her inability to control her vehicle results in death or injury to others or herself.

OP
OP
515mm

515mm

The 2nd and 3rd thumps were me over-correcting for the initial nudge, back towards her and bouncing off again. :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I always find that the older people seems to come over more. I had one pull straight out and mount the curb as i was coming up to the junction he was at. He just put his hand up and look straight ahead. I even had an old women come out and not even see me, she just put her hand up and smiled.
Its not even easy to shout at them when they do that.:biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Not necessarily cycling related, but pertinent to this thread. I had a time when I was driving in the car over a period of 4 weeks when I was hit no less than 3 times by people in other vehicles. The interesting fact was at each incident, I was stationary!

Hit 1: An inattentive woman reversed into me after I'd be parked up outside a house for at least 10 minutes where my daughter was at a birthday party. She came out with her daughter, and I swear she looked at me, got in her car, and then proceeded to reverse right back into me. The funny thing was (and I kept calm surprizingly) was that she asked me for my insurance details! I almost called her something less than charitable. In retrospect and had I the time to mess around, I would have claimed for a new bumper since there was a very small scratch that really wasn't worth being bothered about, but I really didn't like her attitude.

Hit 2: Big lorry didn't stop at traffic lights -I'd been stopped for about 30 seconds at red when he just went into the back of me, fortunately very slowly.

Hit 3: stop and go traffic on a motorway. Stopped with traffic stationary in front of me, then looked in my mirror and saw a car quickly coming up behind me -he wasn't going to stop and sure enough didn't.

I have to say for hits 2 and 3, the drivers were very apologetic -makes a difference. For hit 3, I was so peed off that it had happened again, I got out of my car looking very much less than pleased. It was a pimply teenager in his Dad's car, and right away, he started to apologize -completely defused it for me. Fortunately in each situation, my car was fine and the hit was nothing more than a little bump (did check it completely).

For me, "sorry" can go a long way.

Nigeyy said:
Not necessarily cycling related, but pertinent to this thread. I had a time when I was driving in the car over a period of 4 weeks when I was hit no less than 3 times by people in other vehicles. The interesting fact was at each incident, I was stationary!

Hit 1: An inattentive woman reversed into me after I'd be parked up outside a house for at least 10 minutes where my daughter was at a birthday party. She came out with her daughter, and I swear she looked at me, got in her car, and then proceeded to reverse right back into me. The funny thing was (and I kept calm surprizingly) was that she asked me for my insurance details! I almost called her something less than charitable. In retrospect and had I the time to mess around, I would have claimed for a new bumper since there was a very small scratch that really wasn't worth being bothered about, but I really didn't like her attitude.

Hit 2: Big lorry didn't stop at traffic lights -I'd been stopped for about 30 seconds at red when he just went into the back of me, fortunately very slowly.

Hit 3: stop and go traffic on a motorway. Stopped with traffic stationary in front of me, then looked in my mirror and saw a car quickly coming up behind me -he wasn't going to stop and sure enough didn't.

I have to say for hits 2 and 3, the drivers were very apologetic -makes a difference. For hit 3, I was so peed off that it had happened again, I got out of my car looking very much less than pleased. It was a pimply teenager in his Dad's car, and right away, he started to apologize -completely defused it for me. Fortunately in each situation, my car was fine and the hit was nothing more than a little bump (did check it completely).

For me, "sorry" can go a long way.
I've only once be rearended in a car. I was stopped in queue for the, since removed toll booths at the Forth Road Bridge. Some idiot in a 4x4 came into the back of me; "where else do expect car to be stopped":wacko:

Top Bottom