My first commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Well i'm a bit chuffed with myself. Out the door at 8am with my cycling jersey and padded shorts on. It was chilly so a light jacket for the first 3 miles. Jeans and a t shirt stuffed in my rucksak between my laptop,charger & screwdrivers.
22.5 miles into London (SE1) from Iver (between uxb & slough). Average speed 14mph in 1hour 40mins.
Felt fresh as a daisy when i got there for a few hours work.
Quick cuppa with my colleague before the journey home,but now London was busy. Lots of stop starts until i reached Southall.
I think i bonked at this point and wished i had eaten before setting off home. Completed the return leg in 1 hour 50 mins at an average of 12.5 mph.
Pretty pleased for a 10 year old hybrid which had a D lock,rear rack and my heavy rucksack strapped to it.

Sandra6

Veteran
Sounds like a good commute. But will you do it again?!

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Monday morning - bright & early!
I can still claim my mileage and won't have the hassle of parking/traffic.
Wish i could take the Defy,but i would be to worried about having it stolen.
Might have to look at some cheap cheap panniers as the rucksack affects handling

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Can anyone advise about panniers and rack. I don't want to spend loads,just enough to do the job right.
The rucksack sitting high and heavy on the spring loaded rack just isn't cutting it. Time for 2 panniers. One with my bike kit in it,the other with laptop and tools.
Do/are panniers lockable?
Sorry for the noob questions :rolleyes:

Top Bottom