My first commute

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by defy-one, 21 Jul 2012.

1. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Well i'm a bit chuffed with myself. Out the door at 8am with my cycling jersey and padded shorts on. It was chilly so a light jacket for the first 3 miles. Jeans and a t shirt stuffed in my rucksak between my laptop,charger & screwdrivers.
    22.5 miles into London (SE1) from Iver (between uxb & slough). Average speed 14mph in 1hour 40mins.
    Felt fresh as a daisy when i got there for a few hours work.
    Quick cuppa with my colleague before the journey home,but now London was busy. Lots of stop starts until i reached Southall.
    I think i bonked at this point and wished i had eaten before setting off home. Completed the return leg in 1 hour 50 mins at an average of 12.5 mph.
    Pretty pleased for a 10 year old hybrid which had a D lock,rear rack and my heavy rucksack strapped to it.

Leaway2 and Pat "5mph" like this.
  2. Sandra6

Sandra6 Veteran

Sounds like a good commute. But will you do it again?!

3. OP
    OP
    defy-one

defy-one Guest

Monday morning - bright & early!
    I can still claim my mileage and won't have the hassle of parking/traffic.
    Wish i could take the Defy,but i would be to worried about having it stolen.
    Might have to look at some cheap cheap panniers as the rucksack affects handling

Sandra6 likes this.
  4. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

Well done. A cake before leaving will give you enough fuel for the return leg!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

5. OP
    OP
    defy-one

defy-one Guest

Can anyone advise about panniers and rack. I don't want to spend loads,just enough to do the job right.
    The rucksack sitting high and heavy on the spring loaded rack just isn't cutting it. Time for 2 panniers. One with my bike kit in it,the other with laptop and tools.
    Do/are panniers lockable?
    Sorry for the noob questions :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice