My first confrontation and why it will be my last.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You did the right thing Andrew.

I can't imagine ever looking back and thinking 'I'm really glad I got into that fight'.
I agree, but it's hard to know how to deal with the anger. A woman left hooked me and drove off on a fast roundabout on the South Circular earlier this week. When I caught up with her at the red light she was rushing towards 20 metres down the road, I had to scream ''just get the F out off here!'' because otherwise I'd have physically assaulted her. I'm a terrible fighter but I still have a temper and show it even to bigger, fitter testoteranuses. What to do with the anger? Sadness comes afterwards when the anger no longer has an immediate target.

Nearly there

Veteran
Until faced with this kind of situation its hard to say how we would confront a dwa (d*ck with attitude)but well done andrew you did what came naturally to you sleep on it tomorrows another day.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
This is one situation where a very visible camera often helps defuse and prevent such a confrontation. Not always, mind. The camera helps me keep quieter than I otherwise might too.

It sucks Andrew, poor you.

Drago

Legendary Member
And how does a driver propose to exit the car without the cyclist crushing his chins as he kicks the door shut on them? Some of these chumps on vehicles have no idea if the tactical disadvantage they're at if they intend fisticuffs.

400bhp

Guru
Big disadvantages cyclists have are the bike (well, if you want to keep it in one piece rather than use it as a weapon) and the shoes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah miladdo, as part of the training i give i teach my students to use the bike as a defensive device and weapon.

I've had some good feedback over the years, including a PCSO who was attacked and managed to break the guys leg with the bike.

There are also several decent groundpin techniques you can use with the bike. If you have the knowledge being on a bike gives you positional and tactical advantage.

And remember to unclip your lid before entering combat.

400bhp

Guru
My CAAD9 aint being used as a weapon :ohmy:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Big disadvantages cyclists have are the bike (well, if you want to keep it in one piece rather than use it as a weapon) and the shoes.
Oh I don't know I have often thought that the cleat could be a bit of an advantge and getting in to fisty cuffs the helmet would be more use than it was originally designed for..

On a serious note I was about to make a new thread but this one is too similar, these events have suddenly become the norm for me, really strange every one has been because I dared to shout out Oi as they pull out from the right or close pass, without a doubt the oi has stopped their progress of hitting me, each one has got along side me a started hurling abuse, one took it further and starterd braking in front of me (doing 20mph plus) I then was stupid enough (or angry enough) to get up along side him in a slower moving traffic, he was backing down saying he had seen me, I asked him how would I have known that, and why he went on to behave like a total **** afterwards he didn't have an answer and wound his window up.

The thing is in the heat of moment and the burst of fear and adrenalin I cannot help myself, some not all feel like a genuine attempt on my life has been made, it is not only that it is the complete lack of any purpose to their actions at the very most they are going to gain or lose 10-15 seconds, so they verbally attack someone who has done nothing other than take up a bit of road space and shouted a clear oi, it this that get me so indignant and sometimes quite rude..

I think everyone should spend a an hour on bike in traffic as part of their driving test..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
LOCO, I know where you are coming from, even just an 'Oi' can cause a reaction - that's the same shout I use. Complaining about someone's driving is somehow a serious personal insult.

Not worth it - I end up in a foul mood. Let it go !

Top Bottom