My first confrontation and why it will be my last.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I just popped out to the co-op to fetch some milk (hardly a commute I'll admit). I left my road and joined the main(ish) road which is a downhill number (Belstead Road if you're local) and sat in primary by the middle line and immediately indicated to turn right as I only join this road for a brief time. It's worth noting that the right turn is on a sharp left bend in the road.

I was aware of a revving engine behind me, and soon enough discovered that it belonged to a blue Ford Galaxy and said vehicle accelerated and overtook me, leaving very little room before shooting down the side street I was about to take.

Needless to say it put the shoots right up me. Within a few hundred years the traffic naturally stopped and I found myself next to the car. The three young girls in the back were pointing at me and trying to get the attention of the driver. The driver stared straight forward and started sounding his horn and the stopped traffic.

The driver wound down his window, and much against my better judgement I said 'cor, what have I ever done to you?

Him - I did nothing wrong, you pulled out and I thought you were going straight on so I passed you.

Me - I was indicating

Him - I did nothing wrong

Me - okay, we'll put it down to a misunderstanding

Him - There will be a farking misunderstanding if I get out of this car

At which point I turned my bike and headed the opposite way, this was not a situation that was going to end well if I stayed where I was.

So now I have a pounding headache from the adrenaline and mr daffodil is now doubt now even more wound up and in control of two tonnes of death. I doubt the children in the back enjoyed the exchange much either.

Just. Not. Worth. It.

I wish I hadn't been too shaken to forget to make a not of his registration number though :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Chances are you'll see it again. Make a note to stay clear of it or watch for erratic driving.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Simples....mobile out, 999, "I have just been threatened with violence by driver of vehicle reg......"
It is an assault and is reportable on 999 not 101 (excerpt from 101 website:"You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened. To contact the police for any other reason, call 101.")
Even if nothing comes of it straight away, it can still be used for intelligence purposes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Don't roll alongside a lousy driver. A lot of the numpties will see it as escalation and it puts you in a vulnerable position. Just sit behind 'em staring into the rear view or door mirror. They'll 'blink' first. No, don't do that either.

Just don't bother discussing remonstrating debating or correcting drivers. You'd get a more positive response if you critiqued their performance in the sack. Just report them.

Drago

Legendary Member
"Your face will have a 5 knuckle understanding if you step out of that car Sonny", but then I doubt he'd have had the stones to say it to me anyway.

The trick is to smile and whisper it under your breath, so any witnesses say "I don't know what was wrong with the driver, but that nice cyclist seemed a polite chap"

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
to pick up and emphasis Andy_r's point the aspect of the driver still being nearby is relevant, if the police intercept him on his door step still driving the car it eliminates the 'not been anywhere mate let alone seen a bike' argument.
Try not to let it get to you and definitely the right thing to ride off and leave him stew!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Don't roll alongside a lousy driver. A lot of the numpties will see it as escalation and it puts you in a vulnerable position. Just sit behind 'em staring into the rear view or door mirror. They'll 'blink' first. No, don't do that either.

Just don't bother discussing remonstrating debating or correcting drivers. You'd get a more positive response if you critiqued their performance in the sack. Just report them.

You back up the reason I never usually say anything at all. There are idiots in the world and I didn't enjoy this dip into their world.

I'm usually very calm in dangerous situations (I used to support violent people!) but this just caught me out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, I talk a good confrontation but really i try to avoid it. Don't speak unless spoken to is a pretty good rule for the road.

Dan_h

Unless you are proper hard, in which case remonstrate all you like and if they do come and have a go you have nothing to worry about!

Unfortunately I am not that hard... :whistle:

Peteaud

Veteran

I can look after myself but its really not worth the hassle of it all so the above advice is what i do.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I think there's many things in life to get in fights over- I'm just not sure something like this is one of them.
Besides if you win it'd be classed as you starting it, if you lose you then have to explain to your friends/ family how you were in a fight to start with!

Top Bottom