My first ever bike build / rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I purchased a Ribble Audax / Winter that needed a fair bit of TLC so decided to undertake a bit of a rebuild on it (a first for me doing a lot of this stuff!)

I replaced;
Bottom Bracket - Hollowtech II
Chainset - Tiagra compact 10 speed
Chain - KMC 10 speed
Cassette - Shimano 12-27 (9 speed)
All four cables
Brake Pads
Bar Tape

Stripped and/or regreased the following;
Hub bearings (may yet replace the wheels as I'm considering upgrading the wheels on my best bike once the Boardman CX this is replacing sells!)
Rear mech (may yet replace this or just the jockey wheels as it's a bit noisey!)
Front Mech (has a bit of play in the pivots but appears to shift ok on the workstand)
Brakes
Shifters (which are Ultegra 9 speed items)

Fitted;
SKS P45 Mudguards (not much clearance for these under rear brake!!)
Charge Spoon
Lights and other bits and pieces as this will be my new commuter

I have yet to do a test run but so far I'm very happy and feel quite an attachment to it having done a lot with my own fair hands :-)

photo_zps9dc75974.jpg

wisdom

Guru
Is that a small piano or a huge bike?Very nice though

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Well the rack and panniers got fitted last night (after a brief thought about going back to a rucksack!) and my first shakedown ride was this mornings commute!! Wanted to leave 15 mins earlier than usual just in case of problems but due to a sick wife and kids to get up for breakfast etc I actually left later....

Stopped once due to an annoying rattle which turned out to be a loose nut on the mudguard stay but other than that it was fine, nice slick gear changes, great brakes and pretty nice to ride. As suspected the stem might be slightly to long for me but i will give it a few rides before deciding what to do on that front.

Very happy so far ^_^

montage

God Almighty
Well the rack and panniers got fitted last night (after a brief thought about going back to a rucksack!) and my first shakedown ride was this mornings commute!! Wanted to leave 15 mins earlier than usual just in case of problems but due to a sick wife and kids to get up for breakfast etc I actually left later....

Stopped once due to an annoying rattle which turned out to be a loose nut on the mudguard stay but other than that it was fine, nice slick gear changes, great brakes and pretty nice to ride. As suspected the stem might be slightly to long for me but i will give it a few rides before deciding what to do on that front.

Very happy so far ^_^

I am interested in getting a ribble - how does the frame compare to other bikes you have ridden?

Tommy2

Über Member
I've just built up a ribble winter bike with a mix of new and old parts. Love how they look, what rack did you put on it?

I'm waiting for some new long drop calipers to arrive as the mudguards touch the current ones.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I am interested in getting a ribble - how does the frame compare to other bikes you have ridden?

Can't really comment too much as I've gone down with severe back pain (got so bad i passed out from it!),, however from the short rides I've had so far it seems pretty smooth, I'd say it's more comfortable than my Boardman CX it replaced but not as nice as the main road bike (which has carbon forks and rear stays).

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I've just built up a ribble winter bike with a mix of new and old parts. Love how they look, what rack did you put on it?

I'm waiting for some new long drop calipers to arrive as the mudguards touch the current ones.

I have the Topeak Super Tourist DX and matching rack bag on mine, I will try and post up a current picture with that fitted.

Top Bottom