my first fixed wheel bike... budget £500 ish any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Ashtrayhead said:
My Despatch has arrived and I've managed to get it set up for a try-out tomorrow! It looks lovely, and it's very light!

So when do we get the full report on how it performs as we already know it looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
irontam said:
...or build yourself one and go on holiday with the spare 400 notes.

Or not, and double that budget :angry:

Was out the other week with a guy on the older Felt Dispatch (white) - nice bikes, and they were on my shortlist last year.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
About time I updated with my opinions on my Despatch.........

I've been out on it a few times now, but only ridden it singlespeed and not fixed yet! I think I'll give that a go next week as I think I'm ready for the transition! I am very pleasantly surprised at how well I've taken to not having gears, and have to admit that I was fearing the worst on hills, but I seem to be able to get up hills a bit faster than I can on a geared bike. Maybe it's because I have to make the extra effort and also that my pedalling tecnique has improved, or because the bike is that much lighter. All in all, the hills have not been a struggle at all and I'm now looking forward to the challenge of them.

On the flat I find it difficult at the moment to get up a very fast cadence to increase the speed, which is not to say that it is slow or sluggish, far from it, but it's just me adapting and using different leg muscles I think. At first I was automatically going for gears to get a bit faster but now the legs do the work!

As for the handling, it has carbon forks and it goes where you point it and it feels quite forgiving on the rough surfaces that are everywhere now. The saddle isn't too bad but I'll soon swap that over for my Selle SMP hybrid. Otherwise it's as comfortable as my other Felt. It's quiet too, not having the gears whirring all the time.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and glad I bought it as I think it's definitely improved my pedalling technique, made me put more effort into a ride without over-exertion and I'm no longer in fear of hills.

The next task is to ride it fixed, so I'll take it out on Sunday for a spin!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ashtrayhead said:
On the flat I find it difficult at the moment to get up a very fast cadence to increase the speed, which is not to say that it is slow or sluggish, far from it, but it's just me adapting and using different leg muscles I think.
According to the spec on the evans site, you have a 39 ring at the front and a 16 on the back...that's not the highest gear, so I'm not surprised you have difficulty going fast on the flat. Intriguingly, if the evans site is to be believed, the fixed sprocket is a 15, which will give you a bit more grunt.

Enjoy the bike!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The One True road fixie gear is 72" in old money (more like 70" on 700c tyres), frequently 48 x 18, although 42 x 16 is the same thing. It gets you up and down most things, certainly in London where most fixies seem to live.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
42 x 16 on 700s is what I ride in London, and it's fast enough to outrun almost anyone. I say almost 'cos some bugger on a wasp-coloured Condor beat me t'other day - first head to head I've lost since I got the bike 9 months ago, but I just couldn't spin any faster!

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']According to the spec on the evans site, you have a 39 ring at the front and a 16 on the back...that's not the highest gear, so I'm not surprised you have difficulty going fast on the flat. Intriguingly, if the evans site is to be believed, the fixed sprocket is a 15, which will give you a bit more grunt.

Enjoy the bike![/QUOTE]

Cheers! I'm really pleased with it and, strangely, not overly bothered about the flat speed because I'm glad that I'm finding the hills and slopes not as daunting as I expected. What I intend to do is ride it for a few weeks and then take out the one of my geared bikes to compare and contrast!

Top Bottom