My first fixie ride!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pearson72

I own a Langster Monaco and for the last two days i've had it in fixed wheel. Wow what a nightmare! Is there a benifit to it or is it just a life style?;)

MePower

You can get into the courier messenger polo culture thing, but i think the main reason to go fixed is because you can get fitter quicker, as it is a harder discipline. Give it a few more weeks, it`ll become second nature in no time. What gearing you got? Been up any hills yet?

OP
OP
P

Pearson72

I'm running 42 front and 16 rear. I haven't done any hills in fixed no. It's well hard to stop in a hurry! It's well hard to do anything for that matter!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You don't *have* to leg brake, there are normal brakes after all!

I love riding fixed because it just feels so good, and because it's fun. Defo not a part of posenger culture though. Lycra, saddlebag and drops innit.

OP
OP
P

Pearson72

I went the whole hog and disgauarded my rear brake to save weight and embraice the riding experience. So far it's a nightmare as i love thrashing through the city of Norwich and can't because of my set up. I'm told it does get easier! Going down hills is an eye opener!

yello

Fixed is great! Welcome to the club!

I genuinely prefer it to geared but I'll not get into the nonsense of why (because it seems to upset some :biggrin:).

I do like the Louis Armstrong quote though "If you have to ask what jazz is you'll never know" - seems strangely relevant!

I live in sheffield and rode fixed for about a year, downhill first time nearly snapped my hip, but it got easier. Have now flipped the hub and running single speed freewheel, makes life somewhat easier as to go faster you pedal harder and when it comes to a hill you suffer, but downhill is a coasting breeze.

amaferanga

Veteran
I rode a fixed bike for the first time last week and really didn't enjoy it. It felt weird and I was uncomfortable with the whole notion of not being able to stop pedalling. Just over a week later and I'm starting to enjoy it and it is without a doubt more of a work out than single speed. I also live in Sheffield and my daily 24 mile commute involves around 600m of climbing and a constant ascent of 7km each way. I've been doing it single speed for a month or so and was actually finding it quite easy. Not so on fixed, but my guess is I will be finding it easier soon. I went from 42-18 to 42-16 when I went fixed and that just makes the downhills doable at my current comfortable cadence.

I'd say stick at it and put the rear brake back on (you took it off to save weight??? Have a pee before you get on your bike and you'll save more weight...). So what if you rarely use it, it'll help until you're comfortable with fixed at least.

I agree with keeping the back brake on.in all the time i rode fixed in London traffic i had two working brakes.i was going to put this im my last post but i had to go.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Funny, I've got a fixed, and I ride it sometimes. Yes, it's nice to have a very direct and efficient transmission, and it's the lightest bike I have. But I don't really get the zen thing.

When I ride a geared bike, I hardly ever freewheel. Is that why fixed doesn't give me that zen cloud thing?

When I ride with others, I can find it quite annoying that they keep stopping pedalling, so that they slow down a bit, and then start again, and speed up again, all for no reason.

It's those part-time pedallers that should be riding fixed, not me.

If you're a part-time pedaller, stick with fixed and you'll learn not to be!

thomas

the tank engine
Pearson72 said:
I went the whole hog and disgauarded my rear brake to save weight and embraice the riding experience. So far it's a nightmare as i love thrashing through the city of Norwich and can't because of my set up. I'm told it does get easier! Going down hills is an eye opener!

Be careful going through the town centre is all I'll say...Peds run out sooo often at the traffic lights...admitidly I've done it as they take forever.

I'll have to look out for you when I'm back at UNI :ohmy:

Riding fixed round Norfolk is simple, thats all I now ride during the cooler months, you will get used to it, hills get easier than you'd think due to the forward momentum helping to push the pedal over TDC, you'll soon be flying up Ketts Hill etc.

I now ride 49x16 and although it needs a little more effort on the up hill sections, downhill and flats are easier, though don't forget although Norfolk isn't a hilly as other areas we do get some great headwinds which will stop many in their tracks :ohmy:

Top Bottom