My first long commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very pleased with myself. Have been doing a 4half mile commute each way for a couple of years now. Decided to Cycle all the way to work. orpington to Greenwich. 13 miles door to door. Took 1 Hour 3 minutes there, 1 hour 2 minutes on the return. A lovely bright crisp day, traffic wasnt too heavy, and a lot through parks and cycle paths. Well chuffed with myself. So do I do it again tomorrow or have a rest......

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd try and keep it up from now on. your old commute is the same length as mine, and i know i could easily make the step up if required. even if it's tough going at first, you'll soon find it easier and enjoyable.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice one - I started with 8 miles each way, and due to a move, now have 13-14 (depending on route). The legs ache a bit by the end of the week, but it does get easier the more you do it.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, did it again today, 57 minutes, avg 13.7mph.
Only one wrong turn today, a dog running in front of me, another cyclist said good morning. Another lovely day for cycling.

andyfromotley

I started cycling part of the way to work earlier this year, (i drive halfway (ish) and cycle the remaining 15 miles or so.)

I would be so bold as to say it has changed my life. I am fitter, way less stressed, get to se birds 'n stuff plus where i once snook into the office like a thief, i now parade around in my lycra, discomforting all present.

It really has made me a much happier person, am now trying to build up tp the full 25 mile commute,wish i'd started years ago!

andy

Soltydog

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
So do I do it again tomorrow or have a rest......

depends how you feel. My commute is about 17 miles each way, but nice & flat & mainly cycle tracks. When i first started i used to do it once a week, but built up to 3 or 4 times a week & on a good day i take 'long' cuts on the way home now :smile:
When i first started i was doing about 1 hr 15mins, but my fastest time was about 50 mins, but that was the long way & all roads.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Soltydog,
well I did 3 consecutive days last week of the long commute. 2 days (monday & friday of the short commute) Looking at doing the full 5 days this week. Fastest so far has been 54 minutes. However with the kids in Bromley back at school, the A21 from near where to I live going into Bromley was chocker....which meant a slower ride. Though not really looking at any super speeds, just a nice cycling commute. Loving it...

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
andyfromotley said:
I would be so bold as to say it has changed my life. I am fitter,

No doubt, took up cycling again after a 20 year lay off, mile and half to station, easy I thought...pah.. how wrong was I?, ok on the way there, it was downhill. on the way back it was a killer, I had to lie down for 20 minutes to recover. It was horrible..but I perservered. Laugh about it now.
2 years later...2 stone lighter...26 mile daily commute there and back and with 50 mile Kent ride at the weekend...glorious..

Top Bottom