My first major 'off'. Hit and run. Doncaster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Fife police have arrested a 74yr old man for that and he was remanded in custody pending court appearance this morning.
I see they are still appealing for witnesses, I do hope they already have enough evidence & he doesn't got off on a technicality

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I see they are still appealing for witnesses, I do hope they already have enough evidence & he doesn't got off on a technicality

I believe they are seeking the occupants of an Audi that was in the vicinity and may have witnessed what happened. Police emphasise that this Audi was in no way involved in the collision.

Hopefully they already have sufficient evidence, possibly paint transfer, fibres etc., and they are simply being thorough.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I believe they are seeking the occupants of an Audi that was in the vicinity and may have witnessed what happened. Police emphasise that this Audi was in no way involved in the collision.

Hopefully they already have sufficient evidence, possibly paint transfer, fibres etc., and they are simply being thorough.

BBC saying he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, attempting to pervert the course of justice and the kicker.... Driving whilst disqualified.

Just... morbid.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
BBC saying he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, attempting to pervert the course of justice and the kicker.... Driving whilst disqualified.

Just... morbid.

FFS.
That's an update to the story since I had last loaded the page. Presumably the attempt to pervert the course of justice will be him taking steps to destroy or conceal the weapon, sorry, car. Which is good news from the point of view of establishing knowledge of the collision.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry to read about the accident and glad you seem to be recovering but reading this thread makes me think that the good folk on here have no idea how bad the situation has actually become on the roads.

For the average low-life scumbag insurance is not worth bothering about. The car (as somebody writes upthread) will be a pool car driven by anybody who needs transport. The idea that they might go to a Ford dealer and buy a new mirror is laughable, at best they'll get a mirror from a scrappie. The Police will never get a name for the driver, who will be un-licenced anyway. Most worryingly the Police are so few now that they only have the time to concentrate on the most prominent crimes. Traffic Police have a couple of cars in action each shift and the best they can do is drive up and down motorways letting ANPR do their work then tweeting about successes to create an impression of a good hit rate. There really is a different kind of road user out there, way outside the understanding of ordinary law-abiding citizens. If you commute by car you'll see them every day and woe betide you if you get in their way or have a dispute with one of them.

As a footnote I stopped recently to chat with a farmer who was repairing a car-sized hole in a dry stone wall. She told me that her walls get hit by crashing cars three or four times a year and that the drivers usually run away abandoning the wrecked car.

It's far, far worse than people realise. The Police say 10% of drivers are uninsured and I have no trouble believing that figure.
It's posted elsewhere on here, but I was hit by a car that had no valid VED, insurance or MOT. The driver at the time had "borrowed it" of his then girlfriend to get home. He's in a similar posistion to the car, no insurance, no licence and driving whilst drunk.

Police numbers were low then, they keep on going down. What's worse, my opinion, is that there seems to be a view that cyclists don't matter in RTC's. Someone still has the job of informing the family of the person hit, putting the pieces back together for the person injured, where possible.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Bit of an update. I’ve recently swapped jobs. I was struggling a bit with my knee as the job I was doing involved very heavy lifting. While I was off sick, I applied for a few jobs and from the offers I received, I’ve accepted a HGV driving job at Jewson Civils. Better hours, no Saturdays, and a lot less lifting,

Police informed me there’s no chance of a prosecution, as they definitely can’t prove the driver they nicked was driving on the day I was hit.

I’ve put a claim in with M.I.B (thanks to advice from forum members) and I’ve had a medical, and a representative for M.I.B came to the house and took a formal statement, along with pictures, receipts, etc etc. I’m hoping to recover the cost of repair ( just over £250 for new forks, cables, and control unit. ) The bike is as good as new, and if I get some injury compensation on top, then I guess I’ll put it towards a holiday! I must’ve paid in thousands over the years for car and motorbike insurance!

The limp has gone, but after going for a 25 minute jog with my 12 year old Son last week, I’ve realised it’s going to take a few months before I’m back to (hopefully) approaching full fitness. I’ve done a 6 mile ride, but don’t think I could comfortably do much more. My previous job was 13 miles to work, which I did with no problem, but as my new job is only 3 miles away, I should be able to manage it when I start in a week or two.

I’m still really pi553d off that the scumbag who took me out has got away with it, and can only hope that Mr Karma comes knocking at his door one day soon.

All in all, I realise I was very lucky to not being more seriously hurt, and it won’t stop me cycling to work!

D

Deleted member 26715

Find paint from your bike embedded in their car bodywork?
That will not help, as I read it it's not the car that is the issue, it's the driver at the time.

tom73

Guru
As @classic33 said being well on the way to recovery and good health is what really counts.

It's a pain that no-one will get prosecuted and have got away with it. But at least the MIB option has saved you from having to wait and see if a prosecuted would hold and having to go though a court case. Then trying to get some payment for your bike and the time that may take.

So in that respect it's a more victim friendly outcome and quicker outcome. So you can move on sooner and you never know you may have few quid left to spend when on holiday.

Top Bottom