My first major 'off'. Hit and run. Doncaster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Why pass up free money?
There's no such thing as a free lunch, but if I understand this right this is about as close you get to it, each car driver pays into this fund for exactly this reason, we all have to pay a % of our premium. It is you right to claim.

Brains

Legendary Member
That wing mirror:
Get hold of it, or a detailed picture of it

A lot of wing mirrors are colour coordinated.
They also change on a regular basis
An experienced Ford parts department would be able to tell you the year, give or take, plus possibly the exact colour of the car.

It would be worth going to the local Ford dealers and asking for the details of anyone that orders a replacement.

classic33

Leg End Member
@BlackPanther, you'll have been given a head injury "watch for" list, before you left. Take heed of the advice given in it and don't hesitate in getting yourself seen should you need to.

I'll hazard a guess that all those, myself included, are only passing on what we learnt. We "learnt through experience". If that can help some else at a later date, why not let them know?

Have a gander at Accident Advice.

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Go for prosecution and a payout as they failed to stop. Absolute scum people like that.
Do keep us updated.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've had a hobble and looked a bit closer at the bike today. Amazingly, the front wheel doesn't even look buckled. It doesn't spin freely, but that could be the caliper thats been pushed a bit. On the surface of it, it looks like it could be a cheapish fix. Obviously, I'm in no fit state to be lifting the bike around, but on first look the damage is only the tube inside the headtube (sure it has a name) which has snapped in half. The forks appear to be fine, so it looks like the bending/snapping of the tube took the brunt of the force and absorbed the impact (for the bike only, unfortunately).

As for making a claim, I'm ringing the Police officer who attended the scene tonight. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother of trying to make a claim if they can't trace the driver, for a few reasons.
Firstly, I've only worked for my present company for a couple of months, so when I rang in on Monday, I asked to take a weeks holiday. Then, later in ther afternoon, my manager rang back saying he'd been on to H.R. and they've said they'll give me full pay for at least a week. Didn't ask, didn't expect, so as I'm not on statutory sick pay, I'll not lose out financially.

Secondly, and hopefully, the bike will be a quick cheapish fix.

Thirdly, and even more hopefully, I'll be recovered and back to work next week. Yes it was a painfull 'off' and a horrible few hours lying strapped to a board in hospital, so I can't see it being a megabucks payout. I wonder if I'd even get a no win-no fee solicitors to take it?

Even if you feel OK tomorrow, personally I would still pursue a claim. Reasons have already been given up the thread, but also consider the impact on your wife. Mine has now cared for broken me twice because of cycle incidents. She sees as a driver how some drivers are towards cyclists and it concerns her a lot.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've had a hobble and looked a bit closer at the bike today. Amazingly, the front wheel doesn't even look buckled. It doesn't spin freely, but that could be the caliper thats been pushed a bit. On the surface of it, it looks like it could be a cheapish fix. Obviously, I'm in no fit state to be lifting the bike around, but on first look the damage is only the tube inside the headtube (sure it has a name) which has snapped in half. The forks appear to be fine, so it looks like the bending/snapping of the tube took the brunt of the force and absorbed the impact (for the bike only, unfortunately).

As for making a claim, I'm ringing the Police officer who attended the scene tonight. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother of trying to make a claim if they can't trace the driver, for a few reasons.
Firstly, I've only worked for my present company for a couple of months, so when I rang in on Monday, I asked to take a weeks holiday. Then, later in ther afternoon, my manager rang back saying he'd been on to H.R. and they've said they'll give me full pay for at least a week. Didn't ask, didn't expect, so as I'm not on statutory sick pay, I'll not lose out financially.

Secondly, and hopefully, the bike will be a quick cheapish fix.

Thirdly, and even more hopefully, I'll be recovered and back to work next week. Yes it was a painfull 'off' and a horrible few hours lying strapped to a board in hospital, so I can't see it being a megabucks payout. I wonder if I'd even get a no win-no fee solicitors to take it?

You can anticipate a four figure pay out from personal experience of very similar injuries.

Get a solicitor, claim it. You're entitled to it. Include clothes etc.

If you feel bad about it, donate to a charity.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm off the cruthes, and even drove a bit today. As it's my left knee I didn't have to worry about braking, and I could do the clutch without any pain-just mild discomfort.

I've partially filled in the MIB claim form, but couldn't get through to the RTC department who the police have handed the investigation over to, so I'll try again on Monday as I have a few questions.

Milzy

Guru
Well, it was a good run. 10 years of cycling 25-30 miles most days, and only a couple of spills, both when the tyres gave way, and both relatively minor......until yesterday.

On my way home I had my first collision with a car. I was cycling briskly, on the Giant Fastroad, 20mph+down the A19 out of Askern. Just approaching the Owsten junction, a tractor pulled across the road in front of me. He cut it a bit close, but I didn't have to do an emergency brake, I just slowed as he passed. However, a Ford Focus was waiting to turn right, and he did, and I went from 20-0 in 0.0 seconds, a classic T-bone crash. I remember the tractor, and I vaguely remember knowing I was going to hit the car. Next thing, I'm sitting on the edge of the road, with what looks like 2 bikes to my side. It was just the one though, with the front wheel and forks lying next to the rest of the bike.

It all got a bit blury, but there were 6 or 7 people around me trying to help. One chap got my phone out of my panniers so I could call the Missus, whilst someone else rang 999. Quite a bit of blood from my left knee which had a deep cut, either from going 'through' the bike, or from the wing mirror which came off the car as I hit it. I also had a throbbing right cheek bone where I'm assuming I face planted the roof (thank God I was wearing the helmet), an achey thigh and a back ache. The ambulance arrived (first I think) then the Police, then the Missus. So, I was strapped to a back board, and taken off to hospital. The ambulance ride I remember very little of.

Nearly 4 hours without being able to move your head is not something I'd ever want to repeat! However, after a Cat scan, X-ray, and around 12 stitches (3 inside and 8 or 9 outside,) at around 11 pm I was allowed to go home. If I was pi55ed off yesterday, then imagine my complete despair when I went to review my helmet camera footage this morning, only to discover that I'd failed to turn it on when I left work yesterday!!!!!!! Fudge!

Onto the darker side of the story. The Focus driver didn't stop, and just left me for dead. Plently of witnesses, and 2 (possibly 3) van drivers had dashcams. Also the wing mirror had some sort of serial number on it. Hopefully the police will be able to use the mirror id, retreive the dashcam footage and use to catch, prosecute, and lock up the driver, who I'm told had 3 mates in the car with him. Had he stopped, I'd have probably born him no ill will, but to leave someone like that.....scum.

So, I've booked the week off work, in at the docs next in a week to get the stitches out, and hopefully, I'll be back to fitness soon. I was very lucky to come away with such minor injuries, and I did hear one of the cars drivers saying something about being lucky to not have been killed by the Focus driver. So, the A19 out of Askern, around 16.15-16.45 was when it happened, so if anyone saw the accident or could be of use, please ring Doncasterb Police, and hopefully they'll catch them!

Many, many thanks to all those who stopped to help.

Carl.
I often ride around Askern on my training rides. It is very well known for idiot drivers. It seems to be a very nice little village mostly. We just can’t work out why they drive like doughnuts there more than the surrounding other places.
I wish I could help you, hope they catch the cowardly scum.

si_c

Guru
Just seen this, glad you are not too badly injured. Hope you get some traction with tracing the driver, if nothing else so you can claim on his insurance.

Might be worth trying to get copies of the dashcam footage.

Milzy

Guru
Good to hear
There used to be a large population of transient travellers in the area who believed the normal rules & laws didn't apply to them, not sure if that is still the case.
Well I think it still may be the case then. It’s close pass central until you’re a few miles out.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've had a text off the PC who attended, saying they were in a pursuit of a Silver Focus on Thursday, and 2 males were arrested for various offences. Car wasn't insured and can't prove who was driving as it's driven by several people. They're waiting on the footage from dash cams.

I'm gonna try and find out more on Monday when the RTC team is open.

Top Bottom