My first major 'off'. Hit and run. Doncaster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Get well soon

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Get well soon, sounds stupid to talk about a lucky escape but it sounds like you had one. Hopefully the Police are able to catch and prosecute the car driver.

Out of interest, what is the penalty for failing to stop / leaving the scene of an accident ? With the number of times it happens it does not seem to be much of a deterrence.

Six months and/or a fine of up to £5,000.

D

Deleted member 26715

I notice you've removed your advert for the bike, couldn't you amend the description to light scratches, that's probably what some Fleecebay sellers would list it as.

alicat

Legendary Member
Ouch, that sounds terrible. I hope you recover soon and the driver is tracked down and brought to book. :hugs:

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I notice you've removed your advert for the bike, couldn't you amend the description to light scratches, that's probably what some Fleecebay sellers would list it as.

I just wanted to get it off sale asap, and couldn't get my head round how to delete posts from forums it was advertised on, so just put it had been sold. I'll have a proper look when I'm back on my feet, but from the little I saw yesterday, the front forks have snapped and front wheel destroyed, but the frame tubes looked o.k. even where the battery is fixed.
If I get no joy claiming off the drivers insurance (police not got back to me with any news of tracing the driver) then I'll either get the bike shop to fix it, or, if they check the frame and it's o.k. I'll get the parts and do it myself. If its beyond repair and no insurance joy, then I guess the battery and motor are worth selling, and the rest will add to my pile of bike bits in the garage.

Ironically, 99% of the time I ride the trike to work and yesterday was a one off. Super ironically, the ebike would be perfect for getting me back to cycling without overdoing it! Then again, what state would I have been in if had that kind of crash on the recumbent.....could've gone straight under the car. I've always thought recumbents were generally safer to crash on, less far to fall, less rolling down the road. Plus a trike is almost unfalloffable, but in this case i'm glad I was on a df bike. After 10 years experience, I'd say that 75% of the time you're better off crash wise on a recumbent, but this one........would've been nasty.

Blimey, there's a new thread in there methinks!

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I just wanted to get it off sale asap, and couldn't get my head round how to delete posts from forums it was advertised on, so just put it had been sold. I'll have a proper look when I'm back on my feet, but from the little I saw yesterday, the front forks have snapped and front wheel destroyed, but the frame tubes looked o.k. even where the battery is fixed.
If I get no joy claiming off the drivers insurance (police not got back to me with any news of tracing the driver) then I'll either get the bike shop to fix it, or, if they check the frame and it's o.k. I'll get the parts and do it myself. If its beyond repair and no insurance joy, then I guess the battery and motor are worth selling, and the rest will add to my pile of bike bits in the garage.

Ironically, 99% of the time I ride the trike to work and yesterday was a one off. Super ironically, the ebike would be perfect for getting me back to cycling without overdoing it! Then again, what state would I have been in if I'd had that kind of crash on the recumbent.....could've gone straight under the car. I've always thought recumbents were generally safer to crash on, less far to fall, less rolling down the road. Plus a trike is almost unfalloffable, but in this case I'm glad I was on a df bike. After 10 years experience, I'd say that 75% of the time you're better off crash wise on a recumbent, but this one........would've been nasty.

Blimey, there's a new thread in there methinks!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Awful. Was hit very similarly once myself, but without the failing to stop part. He also lost his wing mirror, which I found peculiarly satisfying.

Sincerely hope the miscreant is caught, get well soon and don't let the bastards grind you down.

tom73

Guru
:hugs: GWS sounds like you've had a lucky escape. Still can't understand how anyone can hit someone and leave them in the rd.
Happen to Mrs 73 a few years ago we sill have no idea who it was.
@glasgowcyclist has beaten me to it get a claim in to MIB it's what we did.
No legal eagle needed it not too hard and the pay out is worth the process.

Top Bottom