My first major 'off'. Hit and run. Doncaster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll agree on the backboard part. Hope you'll soon be on the mend, with no lasting damage.

Just don't forget to watch out for anything that seems out of place, and don't hesitate to get yourself checked again if needs be.

Person first, bike second. Priority wise.

D

Deleted member 26715

How's it going this morning, has the bruising started to come out, any update from Plod (doubting this very much)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to read this, I hope you feel better soon and that the scumbag spineless driver gets what he so richly deserves. How anyone could do this ?!

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've had a hobble and looked a bit closer at the bike today. Amazingly, the front wheel doesn't even look buckled. It doesn't spin freely, but that could be the caliper thats been pushed a bit. On the surface of it, it looks like it could be a cheapish fix. Obviously, I'm in no fit state to be lifting the bike around, but on first look the damage is only the tube inside the headtube (sure it has a name) which has snapped in half. The forks appear to be fine, so it looks like the bending/snapping of the tube took the brunt of the force and absorbed the impact (for the bike only, unfortunately).

As for making a claim, I'm ringing the Police officer who attended the scene tonight. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother of trying to make a claim if they can't trace the driver, for a few reasons.
Firstly, I've only worked for my present company for a couple of months, so when I rang in on Monday, I asked to take a weeks holiday. Then, later in ther afternoon, my manager rang back saying he'd been on to H.R. and they've said they'll give me full pay for at least a week. Didn't ask, didn't expect, so as I'm not on statutory sick pay, I'll not lose out financially.

Secondly, and hopefully, the bike will be a quick cheapish fix.

Thirdly, and even more hopefully, I'll be recovered and back to work next week. Yes it was a painfull 'off' and a horrible few hours lying strapped to a board in hospital, so I can't see it being a megabucks payout. I wonder if I'd even get a no win-no fee solicitors to take it?

Drago

Legendary Member
The whole point of thr MINnis to cover claims where the driver at fault was either uninsured or can not be identified. Damn right you make a claim miladdo! ;)

Good news that your employer is supportive. My old lot weren't. Crash your car on the way to or from work and it was treated as a Polac or Polcol, basically as an incident on duty, and you were catered for accordingly. Get wiped off your bike under similar circumstances and you were scum, 2 wheels skidmarks on the u bend of society, and on your own.

tom73

Guru
You don't need any legal help the MIB is set up for this sort of claim. You've paid into it via your insurance for years and not known about it. So get some back. It's simple just fill in form , someone call's to see you they get other evidence eg police report, medical report, they take pics of the place it happen. They do a report then you get a letter with a settlement figure. You say yes and they pay out. It's not like no win no fee , no court case or stuff to get bothered about.

The fact is someone left you for dead for all they know, your now in pain , your bike is bust (be it a little) and your wife had to see you blood covered lying in the road/ get a call about you being hit. I've seen that and had that call it's not nice. So why not claim none of this is your fault.
You have nothing to lose and you won't have to chase anyone for the money. Even if it's a little should be enough for nice long weekend away which is the least you can do for the Mrs. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Give yourself that week, and see which parts don't hurt. Then decide.

You were left for dead, and may be, by the driver and his mates. Suppose they've already done similar elsewhere.

As for a "No win - No fee solicitor" taking it on. I've made that mistake, they'll take it on, as it's easy money for them they'll take it. Just don't go near them.

MIB forms require two shop quotes for repair. The paperwork is easy enough fill out. Both can be downloaded from the links given by @glasgowcyclist. I'd be wary of riding the bike until it was checked.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a hobble and looked a bit closer at the bike today. Amazingly, the front wheel doesn't even look buckled. It doesn't spin freely, but that could be the caliper thats been pushed a bit. On the surface of it, it looks like it could be a cheapish fix. Obviously, I'm in no fit state to be lifting the bike around, but on first look the damage is only the tube inside the headtube (sure it has a name) which has snapped in half. The forks appear to be fine, so it looks like the bending/snapping of the tube took the brunt of the force and absorbed the impact (for the bike only, unfortunately).

As for making a claim, I'm ringing the Police officer who attended the scene tonight. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother of trying to make a claim if they can't trace the driver, for a few reasons.
Firstly, I've only worked for my present company for a couple of months, so when I rang in on Monday, I asked to take a weeks holiday. Then, later in ther afternoon, my manager rang back saying he'd been on to H.R. and they've said they'll give me full pay for at least a week. Didn't ask, didn't expect, so as I'm not on statutory sick pay, I'll not lose out financially.

Secondly, and hopefully, the bike will be a quick cheapish fix.

Thirdly, and even more hopefully, I'll be recovered and back to work next week. Yes it was a painfull 'off' and a horrible few hours lying strapped to a board in hospital, so I can't see it being a megabucks payout. I wonder if I'd even get a no win-no fee solicitors to take it?

After an impact severe enough to break the fork I'd write the bike off, I wouldn't ride it, you don't know what other unseen damage there is, I would imagine the frames out of shape at the least, there also might be other damage, cracked or weakened tubes etc. What about you, how are you feeling today?

alicat

Legendary Member
I got £7k for 8 stitches to my head and a night in hospital after a driver took me out on a roundabout. Why pass up free money? If the driver can be traced, making a claim forces them to declare it when they renew their insurance and everyone wins indirectly.

Do get your lbs to look the bike over. You're battered and bruised and might not be seeing all the damage.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Thanks for all the advice guys. Let's hope the Police trace the driver. I'd really like to see them proscuted, and that's more on my mind than any payout, however there seems to be quite a few of you guys with experience of making claims and it seems less hassle than I originally thought so I'll have a really good look into it. Obviously, it's going to be a lot simpler if I could claim off the drivers insurance.

My knee feels a hell of a lot better today as the swellings gone down considerably and I can put a bit of weight on it. Hopefully the crutches wont be necessary in a couple of days.

Top Bottom