My first off - done in style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wheelsgeth

Rebuilt, but not yet better than ever
Got taken out on the cycle lane on Tavistock Square by the second of two cars that ignored the give way markings on Friday morning. The first was a black cab, which I scrubbed off enough speed to pass behind. Unfortunately he unsighted the van turning the other way, and unsighted me from seeing the van until it was too late. I nearly missed it, but not quite. Bike went right when the rear offside of the van clipped my front wheel, and I went left and landed hard on my hip. Two other cyclists stopped to help me while I rolled round on the ground for a bit, and the apologetic van driver took me and my apparently undamaged bike to work.

At work, I realised that refusing the ambulance had been a mistake as walking became more difficult, so I got a taxi to UCH A&E, where it transpired I'd fractured the neck of my femur. I had three screws put in it last night, and am currently watching the Champions League Final from my hospital bed. I'm going to be off the bike for at least six weeks - exactly the point at which I should have been doing London-Paris in aid of the hospice where my Mum passed away. Also down to do the RideLondon100 in August and I don't see that happening now. Gutted.

I always knew that cycle lane was dangerous, but have managed to avoid any major incidents in the three years I've been using it. Think I'll be avoiding it from now on...

Bryony

Veteran
Oh no that's terrible! Wishing you a speedy recovery. :hugs:

OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

GWS - hope the bike's ok!

The bike seemed fine at first glance - I've got a few weeks to get it properly checked out. Was thinking of treating myself to a new Ribble Sportive anyway, and this seems like the perfect excuse. Every cloud...

OP
OP
2wheelsgeth

2wheelsgeth

I intend getting compensation. Just wish I had the details of the black cab - he was more culpable than the van that actually made contact, and didn't bother to stop either. When I'm back on my feet I'll check if there are any cameras on that junction. You never know your luck...

Top Bottom