My first off on the commute (very little blood, mild swear word)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
This weather really has me thinking about a MTB for this type of weather on the commute and use the road bike for summer commuting.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
This weather really has me thinking about a MTB for this type of weather on the commute and use the road bike for summer commuting.

Mine is a hybrid with 700x28c Marathon Plus tyres.
Not sure an MTB would have helped, it was like hitting a patch of ice or diesel spill, but at least with an MTB you won't get the road bike dirty and the road bike is there as a back up if the MTB comes a cropper.
Gone on, you know you want to ^_^ :thumbsup:
Cannot quite believe I have done 7000+ miles on my bike ^_^, and that is lockable front suspension.
Next bike will be a cyclocross without the front suspension.
20130801_140107_1141.jpg

andyfraser

Über Member
Mine is a hybrid with 700x28c Marathon Plus tyres.

I'm currently using those very tyres on my hybrid. I've been getting a bit nervous what with the leaves and the cold weather. I have some 700x32c Marathon Plus tyres sitting around. Would I be better off using those instead of the 28s?

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm currently using those very tyres on my hybrid. I've been getting a bit nervous what with the leaves and the cold weather. I have some 700x32c Marathon Plus tyres sitting around. Would I be better off using those instead of the 28s?
My personal opinion/experience of Marathon Plus tyres is they are not good in wet/slippy conditions.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You have a bell... :ph34r:

And reflectors (even on the pedals)!

GC

BSRU

A Human Being
Going to curse myself now, but I use 28s and have been fine on them going over wet leaves on the cycle paths, granted I am not the fastest person on a bike
I think wet leaves will out any tyre, with studded standing a chance but no point with studs unless it's icy.
I used to ride on M+ tyres but took a gamble one spring on some GP 4 Seasons and since I have never had the urge to put the M+ tyres back on.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Unfortunately, you hit a particularly 'good' piece of tarmac. It is good because the stone is very small so provides lots of grip in the dry and doesnt clog up with water. It is designed for car tyres, not bikes.

OP
OP
Frood42

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You have a bell... :ph34r:

:laugh:
Used to have a bell, and then the screw came out, probably through vibration, and I have yet to replace said screw.
I find where I used to use my bell on canal paths and such, a polite "excuse me" is meet with much less of a terrified jump from the people ahead... and a bell is going to do very little against an agitated driver or someone not looking when opening a car door.

The camera mount is now more or less where the bell was.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Looking at the clip it looks like there is water running onto the road and freezing. That is not going to go away over winter. I have it on my commute and the best advice is to slow down. You were cracking on a bit.

Pity about the hanger because they are not cheap for what they are.

Steve

Top Bottom