My first recumbent, I regret nothing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
So on Friday, after many weeks researching recumbents I bought my first. I say first, because I can see me acquiring others over the coming years. I had a looooong drive from Doncaster to the far side of Cardif, 200 miles, 4 hours. Anyway, after a brief test ride I handed over the readies and got myself a near mint, hardly used 2010 Bacchetta Strada. I went for a 12 mile round trip to B&Q yesterday (to get kit to fashion a head rest) and after a wobbly start I soon felt quite confident. Setting off is still a bit of a challenge, especially with the spds, but I'm getting there. I did notice that it wasn't dropping into 9th gear, but I've adjusted it out and though it's dropping in, it sounds a bit 'rattley'. Mind you, that's when it's hung up, so it may disappear on the road under load. I've no experience with SRAM ever (X7 fitted on Strada) as all my bikes are Shimano, but it looks like the only fine adjustment is from the gripshifter. So, here's a pic or 2. I've made the headrest, fitted the rear rack/panniers/top bag, spd dual sided pedals, front and rear lights, mounted the pump and bottle under the seat, and the computer, which was a 'mare to fit on the blade type forks! I'm just waiting for some gatorskins (can't get Marathon Plus's in 650 size) spare tubes, and crud II mudguards before I head off on a proper ride. When I've got the wheels off to do the tyres, I'm going to try a mountain bike wheel in there 'cos it looks like a it would fit with a low walled tyre (assuming the brakes would move enough as well.)

1-7.jpg

2-2.jpg

S1051319.jpg

Attachments

• 1-7.jpg
    1-7.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 41
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 31
  • S1051319.jpg
    S1051319.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 31
Nice, enjoy.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
gosh another recumbent within about 15miles, soon every one will have one:thumbsup:

I think I'm the only 'bent owner in Doncaster. I saw one about 6 months ago, but I think he was just passing through.....maybe it was you?

I'm still very wobbly setting off, and today I made the mistake of hitting a red light and having to stop on a steep hill (Tickhill road onto Balby road) which is made worse as Balby road is the busiest road into Doncaster. I had 2 false starts and the wobbliest set off in history. I'd made the mistake of being in too low a gear, a complete mis-judgement as I could've set off 3 or 4 gears higher and gotten a much bigger 'shove'. I'm lucky it wasn't rush hour, and I need to improve significantly before I start commuting on it when I go back to work next week......maybe I should've got a trike?

tongskie01

how tall are you? looks like the cranks are too long for you basing on your photo.. get a 152 mm crankset and start spinning.. its better to learn how to spin with as it will spare your knees from injury. for starting, you need to be in the lowish gear coz your muscles arent that strong yet.

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
I think it's probably fair to say that we all have struggled with uphill pull-aways at one time or another......

I still do if I haven't ridden it for a while, currently my new Vortex is getting thoroughly used !

Keep at it !!!

BenM

Veteran
The more uphill right handers you do the better you get - I am still rubbish (though better than I was) after a couple of years!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The more uphill right handers you do the better you get - I am still rubbish (though better than I was) after a couple of years!

My right handers are ok.
Is the left handers I am still having trouble with.
But then again I am a unclip the right foot, push of with the lefter.

Top Bottom