My first Resto -1952 Raleigh Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimpyT

Hey guys,

Yesterday I took delivery of my Father in Laws, 1952 Raleigh Sport, This bike has been garaged its whole life so apart from some rust and some worn stickers/ deflated tires and worn seat, it looks good to ride.

I am going to strip it right back and attempt to make it look like its right out the factory.

Everything is original.

I was wondering if anyone can help me find where I can buy the Raleigh sport stickers and vinyls from?

This model in 1952 comes with Sturmey 3 speed, + Dyno hub + Brookes seat, dry battery unit. and rear mud flap.

I am not sure if it came with a chain guard but it doesnt have one.

Of course I will document pictures as I progress but will be waiting until it gets warmer and would like to source some parts first.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have a rummage around http://hlloydcycles.com/index.htm

shadaboot27

If it has been dry stored it whole life, i would imagine it's in very good condition? I would highly advise against repainting it as this will totally devalue it! Please post some pictures up and I'll be able to tell you if it's a bad idea to paint it or not. It might just need an oily rag resto, you'd be surprised how well these old bikes clean up, especially ones that have been dry stored. If it's in good condition the best thing to do is keep it totally original, and just replace the tyres, tubes and bearings. Then it will be totally original and much more valuable.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How you restore your bike is your choice as it is your money. But to having looking like new you will probably have to have it professionally sprayed and a lot of rechroming. You can end up paying more for a standard 1952 Raleigh bike than you will for a good new bike.

I know because I have done it myself. But on a motorbike.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Be480hYH0zY

But you have to decide which route to take.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If the frameset isn't too rough I'd leave it as is and just clean it up a bit. It's only original once and would probably be more desirable in original condition

took the words right out of my mouth

If it has been dry stored it whole life, i would imagine it's in very good condition? I would highly advise against repainting it as this will totally devalue it! Please post some pictures up and I'll be able to tell you if it's a bad idea to paint it or not. It might just need an oily rag resto, you'd be surprised how well these old bikes clean up, especially ones that have been dry stored. If it's in good condition the best thing to do is keep it totally original, and just replace the tyres, tubes and bearings. Then it will be totally original and much more valuable.

well said as well

and pictures please as well

ChrisEyles

Guru
As above, I'd keep the paintwork intact if it's in reasonably good condition. Light rust on the chromed parts can be dealt with quite easily by folding up a square of tin foil and rubbing with a little water.

Otherwise they are remarkably robust, just regrease all the bearings, get some new tyres on it in time for Spring and enjoy :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends what your idea of "original" may be. After all, they didn't come from the showroom with rust pitting and flaking paint. Such features are not original but the side effects of misuse, age and neglect.

You restore or rejeuvenate it as you see fit - there's no right or wrong way of doing it.

shadaboot27

There is no right or wrong way to restore it, and yes you can do it however you like as it's your project, but if you want to take desirability, originality and value into account then there is certain ways to do it, and those ways don't involve a full resto. When I did my first bicycle project, I thought that a full respray resto was my only option as I did not realize how well they clean up, and I also didn't know that a full resto would actually devalue it. I wish someone had told me these things when I did my first project, because I actually ended up ruining a very good condition, valuable bike, because I had no experience and I thought a respray was a good idea. I'm not here to tell you how to do anything, you can do it however you like but I'm just telling you what I wish someone told me when I first did one.

shadaboot27

A full resto to precise OE spec doesn't automatically devalue them - it simply sidesteps them into a different market place.

A full resto to OE spec is near to impossible. Modern day refinishings are nothing like the original methods used in the past and they look very different, no matter how pro the job is. Also to do such restos the cost totally outweighs the final value of the bike, unless it's something very rare and special. But with a Raleigh sport they are not worth a great deal anyway so even if he does choose to full resto it and it does loose its originality it doesn't matter too much. Just do whatever suits you I guess, a full resto can be a lot of fun.

Drago

Legendary Member
It is.difficult. Took me 2 years to restore my 1978 Elswick (only 100 made in Lotus JPS fag packet colours) and I bought a couple of near complete Elswick bikes to rob for parts. Value is irrelevant, cos it ain't for sale and never will be while I'm breathing.

Go with your heart and do what suits you but lose the idea that a full resto will devalue it. Unless it's a historically significant model, or owned by someone famous (and can be documented as such) then it won't devalue it, only moves it into a different sector of the market place. Of course one thing to consider, which has nothing to do with market value, is that if everyone suddenly restored bikes to showroom spec then there will be no originals left to act as a template for future renovations, so fair play for giving the matter some thought.

Go with your heart, not ill advised talk about a bikes "value".

Top Bottom