My first ride with my shiny new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnockerDolt

Regular
Well my bike finally came and I went out for my first ride. It was only a short ride (just about a mile) but I want to get a feel for the bike before I go any further. I haven't rode for about 8 years (back when I was in primary school) put I picked it up easily. Here's a disturbing picture of me on my new bike.

Fa91Z.jpg

Admittedly, I don't have the apparel yet but that comes after getting some new accessories for the bike (new pump, water bottle and what not). My aim is to go on three rides a day at about a mile each until I can build my stamina to go further. But so far, so good. I finally have a bike and i'm looking forward to using it more.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Every day you will get stronger,well one for restarting cycling ,build on your commitment and hard work,the only way is up

TransientStates

Regular
Hello, Well done on getting your new bike and braving that first spin. I too recently started cycling again after many, many years. I did it for two reasons: one, my lovely Audi Turbo consumed fuel like Homer consumes Duff beer and Krispy Kreme's and my insurance went from £350 in Newcastle to £1200 in Manchester. Unfathomable! Two, I developed type 2 diabetes and desperately need to lose weight; I'm 6'1 but weigh about 115kg! There were a few old bikes at the back of my mums shed but I didn't have a clue how to make them roadworthy so I picked up an old Raleigh Vixen off eBay. It was bloody awful to ride (largely due to knackered tyres) but it got me out there. I took the pannier rack off an old racer in the shed and bought some aldi panniers and used it for shopping. Every ride was a killer but on the whole each one seemed easier than the last. Eventually I dug out and cleaned up the old bikes and now use an old aluminium mountain bike I pieced together from various parts. Yesterday I cycled 14 miles in the rain to collect something. I'm still aching but it felt great. I'm thinking of going for a shorter ride now just for the hell of it. I was never one for long walks and would even drive to the corner shop but now I can't wait to get on the bike for a ride - even when there's no purpose to it! Keep at it and you'll feel fitter in no time. Be warned though that it's going to cost you - you'll need to start replacing your wardrobe as your clothes will start to look like flags on a pole! ;-)

HovR

Über Member
Nice, enjoy the new ride!

+1 on raising your seat though. If you can put your foot flat on the floor like that, the saddle is quite a bit too low. When you are riding your bike and the pedal is at its lowest most position, your knee should be almost locked out - but not quite, so only slightly bent. You will find this makes a huge difference to how easy you find it to cycle longer distances.

OP
OP
KnockerDolt

KnockerDolt

Regular
Good work mate, defo get that seat raised and maybe some shorts instead of jeans
Nice, enjoy the new ride!

+1 on raising your seat though. If you can put your foot flat on the floor like that, the saddle is quite a bit too low. When you are riding your bike and the pedal is at its lowest most position, your knee should be almost locked out - but not quite, so only slightly bent. You will find this makes a huge difference to how easy you find it to cycle longer distances.

I'll see about doing that. I have to wait for my mate to come back from holiday first because I don't have any tools yet. I could probably buy some though.

Oh don't worry about all that! Just get out and ride when you want to, where you want to, for as long or as short distance as you want to :smile:

Oh, and get Endomondo; I find it very reassuring to know I'm making a difference to myself :bicycle:

I'm currently using Strava on my android phone. That seems to do the trick pretty well. It also suggests routes near me and as it turns out there's thousands. One of the good things about living in the middle of nowhere I suppose.

Top Bottom