My first ride with my shiny new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I cant decide if youre on the saddle or not in the picture, but if you are your knees are going to be very bent cycling and itll be harder work, especially with jeans on :smile:

If you keep at it (and set it up properly ;)), it wont be long at all before your cycling distances that would seem crazy to you now.

HovR

Über Member
I'll see about doing that. I have to wait for my mate to come back from holiday first because I don't have any tools yet. I could probably buy some though.

I'd imagine since yours is a modern bike you'll just need an allen key (5mm if I remember correctly) to raise the saddle. Last year I bought a set of allen keys from my local 99p store to go in my saddle bag - Those would do the trick if you don't want to spend lots of money. Not the highest quality metal ever, but should easily last a year or two.

Alternatively I'm sure your local bike shop (or even Halfords) wouldn't mind raising your saddle for you if you took your bike to them.

Biglad82

I'd imagine since yours is a modern bike you'll just need an allen key (5mm if I remember correctly) to raise the saddle. Last year I bought a set of allen keys from my local 99p store to go in my saddle bag - Those would do the trick if you don't want to spend lots of money. Not the highest quality metal ever, but should easily last a year or two.

Alternatively I'm sure your local bike shop (or even Halfords) wouldn't mind raising your saddle for you if you took your bike to them.
+1

mark1974

i started 6 weeks ago only doing couple of miles that done me in
now 10 mile a day easy just back did 15 today
keep at it eventually your will go further and just enjoy it mate

Paul J

Keep at it mate and don't think you need all the latest gear. A reasonable bike that works and properly maintained is all you need to feel better. The most important thing is to ride it even when you can't be bothered or weather is bad rather than take the easy option and leave it in the shed.

Good luck

Paul

Keep yer chain and cables lubed and everything will be fine. Start small, work upwards and soon your mates will get the glazed look in their eyes all associates of cyclevangelists get when the cyclist in their midst starts talking!

Just what's been said before, just keep at it, gets easier, faster and further.
I started a month ago after some time off, did 8.5 mile at an average of 9.3 mph, yesterday I did 37m at an average of 12.6mph (bit of a shame really the bikes capable of being faster).
Good luck.

Top Bottom