My First Road BIke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Cannondale would be too old for me, and the Carrera too yellow

Best advice is to go look at them, check the condition and if poss, ride them

The Cannondale will still be a great bike, and will still have a superior frame to the Carrera TBH.

BUT, the components could be as old as the frame and therefore may require more fettling.

On paper I'd still go for the C'dale as it will hold value better and be easier to re-sell in the future.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I felt the same about Saracen - I had a Saracen Kili Pro Elite MTB with loads of trick parts on it way back in '94 - they built the thing to order and it cost 4 figures back then. It was virtually what the team riders used and was really a bit overkill for my needs but hey-ho you only live once (sadly). Was my pride and joy until I switched to a v.sexy Pace MTB.

I remember thinking that they had really sold out when £200 Saracens appeared in Halfords - not being snobbish about cheaper bikes btw but it does make you wonder how companies can screw up their own brands.

In the States, they usually sell out to a Canadian Firm called Dorel, and move their frame construction to the PRC. Then they wind up like Schwinn and Mongoose, sold for a "bargain" at the Wal*Mart. The Paramount end of Schwinn is known as Waterford, and were not a part of this deal. Still a fantastically fine bicycle . Cannondale and GT are also owned by Dorel. There are also "Bike shop level bikes" but I think that when your brand goes on sale at a place like Wal*Mart, you paint the whole brand with the same brush. Poor components, shoddy assembly, a sad state of affairs. Target was selling a single speed bike that was so dire many stores remaindered it for less than 75.00. Far less. I went down and had a look at it, bought something else used.

Top Bottom