My first speed wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

You need the AG2R La Mondial kit, brown lycra as standard!

robjh

Legendary Member
Had a speed wobble last night at 42mph going down a hill near Cheltenham. Probably lasted no more than 20 seconds until the bike started running straight again, but for those seconds I was cacking myself. It's only the second one I've had in 30 years' riding, and first time on this bike.

I've been looking it up on the net this morning, and the most frequently-given advice is to lift yourself slightly out of the saddle, and clamp one or both legs against the top tube to stiffen it and stop the oscillations, but these are not instinctive reactions when it happens. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be better prepared if I ever get it again.

Linford

Had a speed wobble last night at 42mph going down a hill near Cheltenham. Probably lasted no more than 20 seconds until the bike started running straight again, but for those seconds I was cacking myself. It's only the second one I've had in 30 years' riding, and first time on this bike.

I've been looking it up on the net this morning, and the most frequently-given advice is to lift yourself slightly out of the saddle, and clamp one or both legs against the top tube to stiffen it and stop the oscillations, but these are not instinctive reactions when it happens. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be better prepared if I ever get it again.
Which hill ?

Linford

Under the 3 masts is Cleeve Hill. Good to see you stayed on. :thumbsup:

There are 3 big hills into the town. Cleeve hill to prestbury...your road, Leckhampton road, and what we call lilybrook hill from seven springs. Safest is the latter, but i did get a big headshake going up on the bike in my avatar hard on the gas and hit a ripple in the road. Scared me sh!less. Rode it down on my Grifter back in the day...i was a bit less in touch with my mortality then. Though :biggrin:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a serious crosswind wobble yesterday! I was going down a (built up area) hill at about 35mph,i was covering my brakes looking out for the usual dangers when all of a sudden i was hit with this bloody side tornado coming from a break in the houses!:ohmy: I thought i was going over but i managed to lean back into the force and steady myself!:eek:

Top Bottom