My first vintage bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Can I ask, you are talking about moving rust/corrosion, but how can you do it without actually scratching the surface in the process??

Thanks.

Please, this is obviously a really stupid question, but please don't ignore me, how do you go about doing it without damaging the surface or at least in the most gentlest way possible? Exactly what do you apply, etc etc?

I just thought given the context of this thread, more people than just myself might be interested in the answer. :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
Please, this is obviously a really stupid question, but please don't ignore me, how do you go about doing it without damaging the surface or at least in the most gentlest way possible? Exactly what do you apply, etc etc?

I just thought given the context of this thread, more people than just myself might be interested in the answer. :rolleyes:

Localised application of wire wool and elbow grease.

Or the chemical method - http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/rust_remover_gel.jsp

porteous

Veteran
I've been cleaning down the Claude Butler Saphire I got from biggs with some Muck Off and..... erm.... the very untechnical method of knocking the caked on grott and oil off with a small chisel* (I was VERY careful not to scratch the paint work etc, although the paint needs to be seen too anyway). All that cleaning has worked wonders on several parts such as the chainring which is actually silver once more!!

* - Where I was working was right next to where the tools are kept in the garage, and I seem to be quite bad at just using the first useful thing which comes to hand, often using it for something it was never ever intended for. :blush:

Don't worry. Last Friday I removed a 64 year old threaded driver from a Sturmey Archer FW hub using a mattock and a 24" stilson wrench. Worked like a dream.

I always clean any new "project bike" using gunk or any good de-greaser, put it all over, scrobble into the awkward corners with a stiff paintbrush then leave a couple of hours and rinse off. You will be surprised how much "rust" it gets off, then use rerally fine wire wool (000 grade is good)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Don't worry. Last Friday I removed a 64 year old threaded driver from a Sturmey Archer FW hub using a mattock and a 24" stilson wrench. Worked like a dream.

I always clean any new "project bike" using gunk or any good de-greaser, put it all over, scrobble into the awkward corners with a stiff paintbrush then leave a couple of hours and rinse off. You will be surprised how much "rust" it gets off, then use rerally fine wire wool (000 grade is good)

Thanks, as I said, I was using Muck Off and the frame cleaned up quite well, but I imagine this 'gunk' of which you speak (I don't know it) might be good too!

Anyway, enough of hijacking this thread, good luck with Audrey Keri!!

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
No idea how I missed all these replies. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've started taking things apart bit by bit and cleaning as I go. I think I do want to stick with the original paintwork, but annoyingly at some point there seems to have been some black paint spilt on it! Will deal with that when I get to it. Spent last night cleaning up the rear brake which I had taken apart and tonight the brake levers get the special treatment. Will get started on the really mucky stuff like the chain and rear hub soon enough :-)

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
I'm happy to be hijacked btw as I'll be picking up the tips everyone else needs too. I've ordered myself some oxalic acid to give a try on some parts as I've read a lot about it.

....as I side not, in case anyone was wondering, don't get rubbing compound in your eye it makes it quite sore! (got overexcited with the dremel last night!)

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Keep going, It will be worth the hassle. If you are to use the bike regularly this will keep the rust off the wearing surfaces of the rims, the brakes will work better on the naked steel rather than chrome. I use a green scourer every now and again on my rims but a regular cleaning will keep the rust at bay. If you decide to replace the rims try to avoid Indian parts as I found out the chrome wears out within a fortnight of riding. Search for good used parts rather than re-manufactured new where possible. Look for leather brake pads which will work best unless you do a lot of wet weather riding as they will become drenched.

porteous

Veteran

I always clean any new "project bike" using gunk or any good de-greaser, put it all over, scrobble into the awkward corners with a stiff paintbrush then leave a couple of hours and rinse off. You will be surprised how much "rust" it gets off, then use really fine wire wool (000 grade is good)

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
easily entertained on a Sunday afternoon...
before and after :-)
71857_10151506152213694_684954380_n.jpg

309960_10151506152718694_594828573_n.jpg

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
nope, that's why they're missing from the after picture. Have done front and rear brakes and pump clips. Now to start on something bigger or put on some washing... I know which will win!

OP
OP
Keri Spring

Keri Spring

Regular
yep, fine wire wool. I've got a dremel with very fine attachment for any tough bits and use of a walnet shell tumbler for any bits I want particularly shiny :-)

Top Bottom